Recovery CD fails to boot with invalid line in txtsetup.sif file error

moschops

I'm evaluating Profesional 6.5 from the 30 day eval version (build 350) and having problems with booting from the disaster recovery CD. I get an error from the Windows boot process saying "Line 197 of txtsetup.sif is invalid". When I compare the textsetup.sif file on the CD that Retrospect built to the one on the Windows XP SP2 disk I fed it they are different starting at Line 197. How could that be?

I also tried this same procedure with Retrospect Express that came with a Maxtor One-Touch drive and got the same error. I don't find any reference to this error anywhere and no other mentions of this problem.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I had this same error when I created the disaster recovery disk from the OEM Windows XP Pro w/SP2 disk that I got from Dell (for a Dimension 4700 desktop machine). I didn't get the error when I built the DR disk from another OEM disk that I had (also XP Pro w/SP2). I was worried, however, that the one that booted might not perform correctly on the Dell since it might be missing the DVD burner drivers.

Since I had some free time, I decided to see what was wrong. First I opened the txtsetup.sif file from the CD that wouldn't boot and went to line 197. Here is that line and a few others:

1,023 = WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Networking.RtcRes_6595b64144ccf1df_5.2.2.3_en_16a24bc0

1,022 = WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Networking.RtcDll_6595b64144ccf1df_5.2.2.3_x-ww_d6bd8b95

1,021 = WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Networking.Dxmrtp_6595b64144ccf1df_5.2.2.3_x-ww_468466a7

1,020 = WinSxS\x86_Microsoft.Windows.GdiPlus_6595b64144ccf1df_1.0.2600.2180_x-ww_522f9f82

The problem is that the labels 1,023; 1,022; etc. shouldn't have the commas! When I looked in the txtsetup.sif from the CD that booted correctly, I found that the labels were numbered starting from 260. I then went to the original txtsetup.sif from the Dell install CD. In it they had added a few entries above number 240 and they put in one at 999. That forced the Retrospect DR program to use numbers in the 1000s. No problem except for the commas.

Now that I knew the problem, what was I to do about it. The first thing I tried was copying the DR CD to disk and editing the txtsetup.sif file and removing the commas. The problem that I had was that the CD burning software I have wouldn't accept file names longer than 64 characters and there are several of these on the DR CD. I had another program and it accepted the long filenames, but it messed up the boot image so the CD wouldn't boot.

The next attempt (and this one worked) was to copy the Dell install CD to my hard drive. I edited the txtsetup.sif and changed the "999 = pchealth\helpctr\batch" line under the [winntdirectories] section to be "599 = pchealth\helpctr\batch". There are 3 references to this label that also had to be changed:

!DPCHFEN.CAB = 1,,,,,,,999,0,0

!PCVENXP.cab = 1,,,,,,,999,0,0

!Dell_XP.cab = 1,,,,,,,999,0,0

became

!DPCHFEN.CAB = 1,,,,,,,599,0,0

!PCVENXP.cab = 1,,,,,,,599,0,0

!Dell_XP.cab = 1,,,,,,,599,0,0

Next I ran the DR script from Retrospect. When it asked for the location of the installation distribution I pointed it to the directory on my hard disk. The procedure ran smoothly and the CD I produced booted and works just fine.

I guess somebody in Dantz engineering needs to look at their program and not have it put the commas in numbers larger than 1000 when writing out their modified txtsetup.sif file.

Bob

PS. For the record I really like the DR capabilities of Retrospect. It takes all of the guesswork out of recovering from a catastrophic failure. This little experience, however, reinforces the notion that you need to test your DR plan.

This is a very timely append and I thank you for the very detailed explanation of the problem and workaround. Yesterday, I tested the DR DVD's on my friend's system and got the same error. We called Dantz Tech Support and, unfortunately, they didn't have any idea; they asked for a copy of the SIF file. And so we're waiting for Dantz to reply. In the meantime, I'll try and schedule some more time on my friend's computer to try your workaround.

Thank you.

xSteve

Quote:

This is a very timely append and I thank you for the very detailed explanation of the problem and workaround. Yesterday, I tested the DR DVD's on my friend's system and got the same error. We called Dantz Tech Support and, unfortunately, they didn't have any idea; they asked for a copy of the SIF file. And so we're waiting for Dantz to reply. In the meantime, I'll try and schedule some more time on my friend's computer to try your workaround.

Thank you.

xSteve

Heck, if the commas are really the problem, then tech support is wasting everybody's time.

Just give the development group a copy of this thread.

Should be a trivial fix, if the commas are the problem.

Archived