retrospect 6.5 cant restore exchange 2000 database!!!

arjay28

hi,

tnx for the reply...actually my exchange2000 box is also a domain controller of my domain....i have a backupserver where retrospect is installed...here is the error in the event viewr...

Event Type: Error

Event Source: MSExchangeSA

Event Category: MAPI Session

Event ID: 9175

Date: 12/15/2004

Time: 9:35:43 PM

User: N/A

Computer: BRIGHTSTOR

Description:

The MAPI call 'OpenMsgStore' failed with the following error:

The Microsoft Exchange Server computer is not available. Either there are network problems or the Microsoft Exchange Server computer is down for maintenance.

The MAPI provider failed.

Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store

ID no: 8004011d-0526-00000000

For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

It will be fine if u can gtell me the exact( step by step) procedure for IS restore using retrospect ...tnx again

hi,

tnx for the reply. the document is for restoring 'is' to a different server. im restoring to the same server. anyways, what i did is straight forward restor to original server but it doesnt work. is it supported or not by retrospect? mailbox restore is fine but not database restore!

Hi nate,

Sorry to interrupt in this thread, but i got a little confused when you wrote:

"Did you backup both the database and the mailboxes? You need to get them both."

Does this mean that both of the containers in the following image must me marked for backup?

exchange.jpg

I thought the "Exchange Mailboxes" container was optional? But you say it's required?

When i backup my exchange the following is marked from the image above:

Drive C

Exchange Server Container (includes Directory Service and Information Store)

Thank you.

/ Martin

Hi

For a full database restore you need to backup the "Exchange server" item (meaning the information store)

If you also want backups at the mailbox level you will need to backup mailboxes _in addition_ to the information store.

To rephrase my original question:

Did you actually backup the information store or did you just back up the mailboxes? If you just backed up the mailboxes you wont be able to restore the entire database.

Thanks

Nate

Archived