SBS 2000 halts when a scheduled backup runs EXCEPT....

Hello all,

I've been using Retrospect on single machines and small peer based networks for sometime and have just installed a SBS in our organisation. Everything works fine except for backups of the Exchange Server (First group rather than mailboxes).

I have a script to backup the Exchange server to an attached hard disk and I can run it manually (as a recycle or normal backup) and can schedule it for some future time(s). Now, If I leave myself logged on to the server (Administrator) and simply lock the console, then it runs just fine. However, if I logoff the server then when the backup runs, the server hangs. As far as I can tell it hangs (unresponsive) with no error message and does so very soon (a few seconds) after the script starts. As I say this ONLY happens if I have "logged off" the console. There is no error message, Retrospect suggests there has been a power failure after I reboot the server and nothing appears in the logs.

Any thoughts?

Stuart

Thanks,

I now have the latest versions and it runs as administrator. Did another test and exactly the same thing happens ie

Scheduled script backing up the Exchange server makes the system unresponsive such that a reset is required. There are no entries in the log and the backup set becomes corrupted.

Same script run with with the administrator logged on simply locked the console and everything works fine.

This is specific to the exchange server (I can backup individual mailboxes no problem) and only when administrator is NOT logged on (therefore a scheduled backup). Absolutley no trouble when administrator is logged on and doing nothing

Stuart

Thanks for trying to help...

In preferences under security I have..

Always run retrospect as the specified user

the username is Administrator

the password is (secret)

the domain is CMCONSULTING (Our domain)

The terminal server session is NOT checked

Administrator is, obviously, the administrator and has full rights.

Scheduled scripts ran again last night perfectly (including the exchange server) as I had left administrator "logged on" to the server. A test during the day confirms that the system halt occurs ONLY when backing up Exchange (First Group) and ONLY if administrator is NOT logged on. Backing up everything else works fine even if administrator is not logged on and backing up Exchange works fine IF administrator is logged on. All backups are done via scripts that are "scheduled" to run at some time in the future

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay in responding. I have created another account that has full administrator priveleges and the current situation is now....

Normal backups of the Exchange server SEEM to be working. I have left a load of scheduled incremental (Normal) to run and they seem to be going OK at the moment. The only problem seems to be with Recycle backups which hang the server if someone (not sure wether i has to be administrator or the new account) is NOT logged on. Retrospect security is set to run under the new account (and the log shows it is running as that account), but when I am logged on as administrator it shows administrator as the retrospect user rather than the new account.

Finally, How do I relicense the excahnge server to see if that works?

Thanks

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK,

I've relicensed, I've setup the security for another user,I've done everything I can think off and has been suggested. I have tried every combination I can think of!

IF I leave a SCHEDULED, RECYCLE backup of EXCHANGE SERVER (First Group) and logoff the server. The server doesn't exactly crash, clocks keep running and other applications keep running, but to all intent and purposes the server hangs. We cannot connect to Exchange from clients, the clients do not "see" the server (except I CAN ping it) and CompanyWeb/Remote access does not work. When you try and logon at the server, nothing happens. I have to reboot. After rebooting, retrospect says something happened, probably a power failure and the backup set has become corrupted.

Run the EXACT same scheduled, recycle backup but leave administrator logged on, even if its "Locked" the server, and everything is fine!

HELP Please, this is driving me nuts!

Thanks

Stuart

Hi

Do the windows system logs give any errors when you try the backup with admin user logged out?

So when you log in as the other user you have set Retrospect to run as will the backup run? Or do you have to be logged in as admin for it to work?

Thanks

Nate

Hi

Does the NT backup utility complete sucessfully or does that hang too?

I'm starting to think the databases are corrupt or there is another problem on the machine.

Perhaps a problem with user accounts or corruption in active directory? Thats one reason why scripted backups could have failed in the past.

Thanks

Nate

Hummm,

Thanks for your continued help in this. I have tried an experiment and NT backups fail as well! I have been such a fan of Retrospect for so long that I didn't even consider using the "built in" backup as I knew I would use Retrospect. But yes, the NT back does hang the server it what appears to be the same way.

Please don't say I'm going to have to rebuild the server, I'm afraid I'm rather new to SBS so I need "idiots" guides to makeing sure the right information gets into the right log.

Thanks again, it looks like you've got close to the problem.

Stuart

Archived