errors galore: assertion failure/unexpected beginn

DanMauser

Please see my previous post.

Another problem I have gotten is 'assertion failure at "cdru_base.cpp-1835" an internal consistency check failed.

Also, Device trouble: "1 backup set A", error -103 (unexpected beginning of media)

I have tried once on a cd-r and three times on an rw. After retrospect does something to my rw, I can't get my PrassiPrimo burning software to prepare it to burn.

Dan

This is a very unique assert error that I have never seen before.

Which operating system version is this? Does the Configure>Devices>Environment window show devices visible using NT Passthrough or ASPI?

Make sure you have the latest Retrospect RDU installed.

Try removing the config55.dat file from the Retrospect folder. A corrupt file could cause this error.

After one of these assert errors, make sure you restart the computer before trying Retrospect again.

When exactly does the assert happen? What are the steps you use to reproduce the error?

Thanks for the reply, Homer.

I am using win2k.

I don't know what you mean by your second question.

I had just downloaded the program from dantz's site, so I assume they would have the latest whatever it is you're asking for.

I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling the program which should take care of any corrupt files, right?

These errors happen about a minute or two into the backing up, which has rendered two cd-rw's unrecognizable by my burning program.

Cheers,

Dan

I've got a ricoh something or other that was listed as being supported. I checked earlier. I've uninstalled, and reinstalled the software and still it doesn't work.

I thank you for your patience but I have had enough messing around with this thing.

Happy Easter,

Dan

Hi Dan,

I am in the process of reviewing some backup software for WinXP since almost losing my hard drive a couple of weeks ago. Right now it is a toss up between Express and NTI Backup NOW! (http://www.ntibackupnow.com) I'm leaning toward Express, I want to try it on some 10x CD-RWs as 4x is slow.

I have been testing out Express for the last day or so and at first I could not get it to work. When I started the backup, the CD would spin for a while (the log said it was formatting the CD), then I would get the 103 error that you posted above. I don't recall getting the assertion failure so this may be a different problem.

Anyway, I rechecked my CD burner against Retrospect's hardware list and noticed that the firmware was not up-to-date. I went to my vendor's website and downloaded the newer firmware, rebooted, and everything worked fine after that.

My recommendation is to check the firmware revision of your CD burner (regardless how new your burner is). Mine is only 5 months old, but I still had to upgrade the firmware. The firmware is the software that actually runs inside your burner, not the driver that XP uses. First, make sure that your model of your burner is qualified for Express on Windows, then make sure you have the latest firmware version or atleast the version listed for your burner on the hardware compatibility list.

This worked for me, your mileage may vary.

Good luck,

-Tim

Archived