Error -1116 "Sorry, server login failed, error"

13ruce

Intermittent problem:

Host: XP SP3

Occasionally can't connect to mapped drive. Will connect after restart. It happens often enough to make for unreliable backups.

Error message contents:
Sorry, server login failed, error -1116 (can't access network volume)
[server info]
Please try using the Explorer to connect.

I can readily connect to all mapped drives in Explorer, but Retrospect cannot. This is an intermittent problem, which makes me suspect an issue with a service going to sleep or otherwise becoming unresponsive. 

PS: I tried to find this topic to see if it had already been addressed, but could not find how to search the forum. What am I missing? Is this forum not searchable?

Because of problems I have had in the past with mapped network drives I try to use the UNC path (\\<hostname or IP>\<share>) instead of a mapped drive. These can be setup in Retrospect by selecting Volumes under Configure in the left hand panel then clicking the My Network button. This is a workaround not a solution to your problem but it may help to make your backup process more reliable.

One cause for this problem can be the limitation in Windows that allows you to connect to a network resource with only one set of credentials. Windows sometimes corrupts these credentials that only a restart will correct.

PS: The search box should be in the top right corner just below your username when you are logged-in.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely give that a shot. For what it's worth, the desktop login uses the same credentials as are required for accessing the NAS shares. What's odd is that I can always access the shares from Explorer, even when Retrospect can't access them. I strongly suspect this is a Retrospect issue, rather than corrupt credentials. Not that it's necessarily a bog or error with Retrospect, mind you. It could just be that Retrospect requires something to be tweaked that I haven't discovered.

Also, I don't see a search button anywhere near my name. Of course, I do see the search field at the top, but that searches the entire Retrospect site, with seemingly no forum specific options like all of the other forums I've used. What am I missing?

xizZn84.png

The search box at the top of the forum does a full site search including the forum. The non-forum search results may come up first because the website and knowledgebase have a higher priority. If you add the word "forum" to your search string, you may see more forum results come up. 

Other customers encounter this error intermittently as well, but we haven't been able to reproduce the issue. I agree with Scillonian's alternative; post back when you get a chance to try it.

As far as the forum search, we swapped out the forum-specific search a couple months ago for a full site search. The original forum search had a number of limitations, like requiring four characters (inconvenient for 3-digit error codes). In addition, we wanted to make sure people visiting the forum could find information in our online documentation and knowledge base. As Mayoff pointed out, those results have a higher rank. Finally, the search on the website also covers the forums to ensure website visitors find the excellent answers you guys post here.