Scanning Incomplete, Error -1010 (Api Request Bad)

The message "Scanning incomplete, error -1010 (API request bad)" is displayed in the "Operations Log" only for the first set of four. The remaining three sets' execution completes successfully.

This is also the case every time when attempting to backup a single set.

Is there a solution?

Hoping to hear from someone.

Cheers,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW

A workaround to the problem noted is to write a new script which includes a dummy folder, with little data in it, making sure it starts at the beginning of a set. All sets below the first one backup with out apparent issues.

Surely, this is not acceptable and hopefully there will be a corrected solution in the near future.

For the record the system configureation is as follows:

- Win 7 x64

- Areca RAID card with 8 HDs running RAID 3

- 24GB ram

- System drive is a 250GB SSD running at 6Gb/s

- The catalog files are on another drive running at 10,000 rpm.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has had a similar issue or suggestions.

Cheers,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW

A workaround to the problem noted is to write a new script which includes a dummy folder, with little data in it, making sure it starts at the beginning of a set. All sets below the first one backup with out apparent issues.

Surely, this is not acceptable and hopefully there will be a corrected solution in the near future.

For the record the system configureation is as follows:

- Win 7 x64

- Areca RAID card with 8 HDs running RAID 3

- 24GB ram

- System drive is a 250GB SSD running at 6Gb/s

- The catalog files are on another drive running at 10,000 rpm.

I'd like to hear from anyone who has had a similar issue or suggestions.

Cheers,

Michael

I've been fighting this same error for weeks now on a WinXP system running Retrospect Express 7.7. For a while the backup would proceed for a few minutes, about 5GB, then fail with 'API request bad' in the log. Now it fails consistently as soon as it starts scanning.

From your workaround instructions above I tried adding a subvolume pointing to a folder containing just one text file to the backup script before the Local drive C:. Same results. I'm not sure this is what you intended in your workaround. If there is a workaround I'd really like to get it working on this PC. It's been driving me nuts for weeks now. I was able to get one full backup completed after updating the BIOS (Dell Optiplex GX520), but not since then. I have no idea what condition allowed it to complete one backup. I haven't been able to replicate it since.

In my case the workaround has been successful 100% of the time.

That is to say all my scripts now include one dummy folder, which has to be the first one, hence it usually named something like 001, and in nine out of ten times this folder will not complete and the log displays the "Error -1010" for that file only.

The rest of the folders in that scrips are then backed up properly.

Cheers,

Michael

The -1010 while scanning the C: disk would point to Retrospect encountering a problem reading data from that disk. It could be a bad sector on the drive or maybe just a corrupt file.

1) run a full disk check on the drive to see if it finds and fixes issues.

2) Check the Windows Event logs to see if any delayed write failure errors or other disk read/write errors are reported recently.

3) Can you tell if Retrospect is failing at a specific point each time? That could help narrow down in the problem is isolated to a very specific directory.

Knowing you meant this reply for McCADD and recognizing this to be the primary issue to check, in my case this appears not to be the cause.

The reason for my conclusion being that it does not matter which folder is the first one. I have done this with more than four different scripts and it is allways the first folder that won't complete nine out of ten times. All of the remaining ones in the script complete and these include the ones that failed when they were the first in a script.

Of possible interest; some of my folders are more than 400GB in size, while others are in the 35GB range. Hence, it does not matter how big or small the folder is, if any one of them is the first in a script it fails at least nine out of ten tries.

Cheers,

Michael

For what it's worth I scheduled a Retrospect backup for 2 hrs. from present time, scheduled a full chkdsk (chkdsk /r) on the system, restarted, and left it to run unattended. The next time I checked the Retrospect logs a day later, the backup I had scheduled for 6:00 P.M. was cancelled by another user at 6:00 A.M., indicating to me that the external USB drive (Iomega eGo 1TB)was not properly detected after the system restarted. The user that cancelled the backup was not aware of the problem and so just cancelled the backup.

However, the very next scheduled backup at 12:00 P.M. ran to completion without errors after the office manager disconnected and reconnected the USB drive as I had instructed her to do when Retrospect prompts for a new location for the backup set.

The USB drive is frequently not recognized by WinXP if I restart the computer with the ext. USB drive attached. If we then unplug the USB cable, wait ten seconds, and reconnect it, WinXP recognizes it again and Retrospect proceeds with the backup, though it may fail with the API request bad after that point. I think this issue may be unrelated.

I scheduled another backup for later that evening. I logged on just now to find that the next scheduled backup failed after just over 5 minutes and 34.7 MB. The next day the daily scheduled backup failed immediately during the scanning phase again.

The CHKDSK log (attached) didn't report any defective sectors.

I notice also that a scheduled daily backup using NTBackup to a network drive is encountering problems as well. The backups complete, sometimes, but even the completed backups contain failed log entries (attached).

Any ideas?