Assertion check at provider.c-628

hrobinson

Retrospect apparently still has this bug.

It was reported two years ago and is in the Knowledgebase in Article 27368.

1. The article was hard to find, because I searched under Retrospect 6.0 and got nothing. I found it when I searched under "All Dantz Products". Given that this is a programming exception thrown from a C program, not a planned error message, I would have expected this indexed under the main program, not the clients...

2. Deleting the client (that I had just installed), and re-installing it cured the problem. The old client is gone; so, I can't verify this, but I suspect that I skipped a version or two with this installation (This client machine is one that I touch as little as possible -- I had to go to IP based backups because my server is running 10.2.8) and that the preferences didn't get translated properly because of the version skip.

3. If you had been keeping the preferences in a separate file like you are supposed to, I wouldn't have had to delete and reinstall the client, just delete the preferences file...

4. You should add a proper error message, it was a real PITA to figure this out.

Archived