Cannot run Retrospect Client message

SteveW928

I'm having a problem with Retrospect Client v5. Many times after a restart of the OSX machine running the client, when I try to re-start the client, I get the following message:

'Cannot run Retrospect Client'

'The client was installed without root permissions'

What's up with this? I only have one user on this machine, which as Administrator, and its the same password as root. When the client installs, it asks for this PWD, and I enter that one. It works until some time down the road (I usually restart the machines once a week), when after the restart, I can't bring it up again, as I get the above message.

I then have to un-install the client, re-install. Then I can run it. Then, it gives me a liscensing message in v5 server, and says I have to select it in the Clients window, and do a 'get info' which will resolve the conflict. This works, but then renames the client back to some original name, when it was first installed. Then I have to rename the client to its current name.

Is anyone else seeing this? Is there a fix for it?

Thanks,

-Steve

swilkinson@macys.com

Also, still having the 'client unavailable' items in the log for an automated backup. But the client is there, and can easily be seen. The solution seems to be to restart the machine, then in the client window on v5 server, to go in like you're going to configure it, then back out. This will usually make it backup that night and maybe another night or two... then it becomes 'unavailable' again.

-Steve

swilkinson@macys.com

Archived