Using External FireWire HD

Hello- My company has used Retrospect for many years with an external SCSI DAT tape drive. This has been fine up until recently. A few months ago, our server with all of our client information died and was not able to be resurrected. Luckily, we had the DAT tape backups to restore data from. The problem was that this process took MANY days because the machine with the DAT attached was connected to the server machine via 10base-t ethernet.

To prevent this from happening again, someone suggested using external firewire hard drives instead of DAT tapes. This way, the drives could be connected directly to the server machine via firewire, making any restores happen very fast. The problem is that I am not sure of the security and dependability of an external harddrive.

Is there any technical reason why an external hard drive would not make a good storage device (compared to a DAT tape)? Is there more risk of a hard drive going corrupt or failing than a DAT tape screwing up? I am thinking about the fact that an external hard drive has the data AND the mechanism to read that data, while the DAT tape is separate from the reading mechanism. Any insight or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!!

Archived