Installed SP2; now Clients cannot be found.

Ted Mitchell

My first guess would be that SP2's firewall (*enabled* by default) is blocking port(s) needed for Retorspect Pro <--> client communication. You didn't say where you installed SP2 (on the Pro machine, on the Client machine(s) or both). But you might see if opening a port (see link below) or specifically granting RP or RC some permissions clears things up.

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=professional&Number=44594&Forum=All_Forums&Words=%2Bclient%20%2Bport%20%20%2Bfirewall&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=44467&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post44594

I installed SP2 on all three home computers.

The Windows Firewall is Disabled because I use Norton Internet Security. With NIS Disabled, it makes no difference.

I did find out, however, even with NIS and Windows Firewall Disabled, if I went into the Advanced tab of Windows Firewall and Unchecked the "Local Area Network" square (leaving Earthlink checked) I can then see both Clients.

Kind of a pain to have to do this though.

I'll try the port 497 suggestion and see what happens. Have to figure out how to do that first.

Ted

OK, all is well now.

In the Windows Firewall dialog box I went to the Advanced Tab, selected Local Area Connection (my LAN) and then Settings.

There is a list. By putting a Check in the box for Retrospect Client, I got the Clients to operate properly.

A mystery though. On one client computer I selected TCP (only), and it worked.

On the other client computer, I had to select both TCP and UDP for it to be recognized.

Ted

Archived