Correct procedure to copy (clone) a disk (not volumes, folders)

anonymouse2

I have a laptop with a hard drive that may be dying/going bad. Rather than waiting for it to die and then doing some sort of disaster recovery, is there a way to basically clone (including my OS, system/hidden files, registry, etc.) my hard disk using an externally mounted 2.5" disk say on my USB or Firewire port ? I see some info in the support areas about this, but it is not clear if there is any way to basically duplicate an existing drive. I am using the professional version 6.5 under Windows XP Pro.

Thanks, in advance, for your help and ccoperation.

You might want to glance at this thread for a recent discussion on cloning vs. file-by-file backups.

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=42828&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#42828

IMHO, *after* you make sure you've got your critical data backed up *now* however you can do it quickly (given your comments about a dying harddisk)--drag to the USB/FW external drive, copy to CDR, email to yourself... -- your best *cloning* option is using Norton Ghost, saving to clone image to a data *file* on your USB/FW drive. You can also make a "pretty good" backup of your data and/or entire drive using Retrospect (e.g. to a file backup on the external USB/FW drive) and perhaps the Disaster Recovery procedure.

Archived