LaCie DVD-RAM and Rspct 5.0 for OSX

Strange. While my LaCie firewire DVD-RAM drive (Hitachi GF-2000?) worked with Mac Retrospect v4.3, the drive will not work with Retrospect 5.0 for OSX. I can format disks OK and they mount on the desktop, but Retrospect does not "see" them.

Interestingly, I do not see the GF-2000 on the supported devices list. Perhaps I was just lucky with v4.3?

Help?

Thanks,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Mike -

All DVD-RAM drives are universally supported by Retrospect as long as they are supported by the OS. For all third party removable drives (i.e. Zip, Orb, DVD-RAM), we rely on the manufacturer's drivers for proper support. These drivers are not provided by Dantz. Make sure your drivers are up to date.

What happens when you go to Configure > Devices? Does Retrospect see the drive?

What kind of Backup Sets are you creating? With DVD-RAM, make sure you are making Removable Disk Backup Sets, and not CD-R Backup Sets. Check Configure > Backup Sets. If the icons next to your sets look like CD's and not Disks, then you've got CD-R Backup Sets.

Turns out that the key was to use the "removable media" disk set and not the CD/DVD set. To the casual user, it's very misleading that DVD-RW and DVD-RAM are not included in the same disk set. I'm sure there's a good reason for this at the programming level, but not at the user level.

Sorry for the gripe. You helped fix the problem; thanks again!

Archived