Partial solution to -1017 insufficient permissions with logon as... network drives

jz_007

OK, here's the scenario which I've seen described several times on the forum, but not seen a solution.

You have a PC whose principal user is "blockhead"

You have a folder on your server, say //MYSERVER/myData$/

The folder permissions on this folder are such that "blockhead" has read-only access, and "RetroAccount" has write-access.

"Blockhead" needs access to the files in //MYSERVER/myData$/, so he has a mapped network drive to the folder (let's say its on "K:")

Now, when you ask Retrospect to Backup or Duplicate files from the PC to //MYSERVER/myData$/, you ask it login as "mydomain/RetroAccount". However, when the backup runs, all you get is errors of the type :

> File "C:\Blockheads file.txt": can't write, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

The reason for this is that Windows cannot connect to the same resource simultaneously with different permissions . If you disconnect drive K:, the backup will work, but blockhead can't access the files on the server...

But...

If you open a command window, and type "nslookup myserver" it will return the IP address of the server, say 11.22.33.44

Now, Windows isn't bright enough to realise that this IP address is actually the same as Myserver. So in the Retrospect app, in Volumes>My Network Places>My Network>Advanced, create a reference to \\11.22.33.44\mydata$\ instead.

Now you should be able to ask Retrospect to login to this path as mydomain\retroaccount, and everything in the garden should be lovely smirk.gif

HTH

Joolz

Archived