Error: Can't add another session to backup set

KeithParker

Hello,

I've encountered an error message in my Retrospect logs:

Can't add another session to backup set

(limited to 2,400 sessions)

Execution incomplete

I've searched the user forums and the KB but can find no reference to this (unnumbered) error message nor what I should do. Can someone please enlighten me?

Thanks, in advance,

Keith Parker

Hi "West",

Actually, I've never recycled! I don't want to lose legacy data; sometimes I need to go to a previous version of a file. For example, my server has IIS on it and I host websites for several clients. Sometimes they hose one of their existing website files and so being able to go back (sometimes through many generations) allows me to restore to the last known working version.

I think I may need to investigate the archiving functions within Retrospect, and then do a recycle. Does that sound about right to you?

Thanks, again,

Keith Parker

The Archive function may be of some use. But it sounds like maybe you need a "Longterm" and "Shortterm" backup set, e.g. a set you backup infrequently (e.g. once a month) and "never" recycle and one you backup frequently (e.g. once a day) but can recycle.

Hi West,

That's a good idea. That would actually work out all right for me, I think. I'm planning to move Retrospect from my server to a different computer anyway, because my server is getting too busy. I might take that opportunity to reconfigure how I backup.

Thanks, again.

Keith Parker

San Rafael CA

Archived