Catalogue DVD's

asiddhu

Hi Everyone,

I've tested Retrospect 6.5 with a DVD-Burner on a Windows XP machine, I don't have to tell, It works Great!

Only problem is we are using it for archiving and we want to catalogue files written on a DVD Disc using a cataloguing software. With Retrospect I am not able to do so, as on can't simply browse files written using Retro. on his machine. This is a requirement so that catalogue sfotware can create a databse of files on a DVD and then this dvd can be accesses from other MAC and Windows machines.

Is there any additional functionality for achiving this using Retro. If Retro. can't do this then can anyone suggest any other software, which has to run on windows machine, which will write files copied from a MAC? As you know, when you copy files from a MAC Volume on serer, some characers, eg. / CHANGES TO . And the DVD writing software on Windows should preserve this file format. I have tried Nero and MyDVD but they change the file naming format. eg. they change / TO ~ When one tries to restore these files, directory names are changed.

That's why I'll love using Retro. and currently we are using it on 2 servers, but not for archival, just for backup.

Thanks for reading this post.

Reg..

Thanks for your reply.

But how do I catalogue DVD's written using Retrospect? We are planning to write and catalogue DVD's on a daily basis. I do have a cataloguing software, but it requires data to be written in a normal format, not in the backup set format.

I tried the Duplicate option in retrospect, but it is not working with the DVD Writer, it works great with volumes on network or on a local hard disc...

Archived