can see but cannot connect to Windows client from Mac OS X retro 5

blair

We're running Retro 5.0.x on Mac OS 10.2.8. We have a Windows client that 'til recently gave us no trouble. Then I reconfigured the networking info (ip address, e.g.) on the Windows client to work on a router, and reconfigured back.

Retrospect can see the client, but cannot connect. Retro tells me the client is not installed or running. I have re-installed the client (5.6) several times and restarted, to no avail. I also tried downloading the Win 6 client installer from the web site and installed that, restarted, but no change: Retro tells me the client is not installed or not running. When I look at the Retro client on the Windows machine, it is on and "waiting for first access." (I think that's the phrase.)

Any help appreciated!

Do you have multiple NIC's in the client? Windows users with more than one Ethernet card or TCP/IP adapter may experience difficulty getting older Retrospect Clients for Windows to bind to the desired interface.

This problem can also prevent Retrospect from seeing clients on the network. With more than one Ethernet card installed, Retrospect may report an error 541 (client not installed or not running).

If your Retrospect Client 6.0 and earlier is running on Windows NT or 2000, the following changes to the Registry will allow you to use Retrospect Client on a PC with more than one ethernet card:

1. From the Services control panel get properties on the Retrospect Client service.

2. Stop the Retrospect Client Service.

3. Close the Services control panel

4. From the Start menu, choose Run and type "Regedit" (no quotes).

5. Open the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Dantz\Retrospect Client\5.0, and highlight the 5.x folder. You should see a "BindListener" value set to 0.0.0.0. If the ethernet card you want Retrospect to use has a fixed address, change the BindListener value to that address. If the ethernet card you want Retrospect to use has a dynamic address, set the BindListener value to the network portion of your IP address. For example, if the current IP address is 192.168.6.241 with Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0, use 192.168.6.0.

6. Close the Registry

7. Restart your computer

If you use the 6.5 version (or later) of the Retrospect Client, all IP addresses should automatically be found by the client software. If you wish to force the client to only bind to a specific IP address, use the following command from the Run Menu:

retroclient -ipsave 0.0.0.0 (typing in the IP address you wish to bind to)

If you are using multiple IP addresses on Windows 95/98/ME then you should use the 6.5 version of the Retrospect Client for best compatibility.

Archived