Too many Versions of Files stored.

Terran

I've been using Retrospect 6.5 for quite some time, and it's been working flawlessly. However, I'm filling up my backup drive pretty quickly. When I opened the Backup Set, I noticed that I've got many versions of the same file saved (as should be the case). However, I do not need that many versions.

Is there any way to do any of the following:

-Delete all but the most recent version of each file?

-Tell Retrospect to only keep a certain number of versions of each file?

For now, I can just delete my backup set and Retrospect will start all over with one version of each file on the initial backup. But as multiple versions of each file get saved again, I'll run out of space (as I am now).

Please let me know if anything mentioned above is possible, or suggest something else.

Thank you!

-Terran-

Quote:

Is there any way to do any of the following:

-Delete all but the most recent version of each file?

-Tell Retrospect to only keep a certain number of versions of each file?

I don't believe so (but that would make for a terrific new feature)! Since a backup set continues growing until you recycle it, your backup 'growing pain' is not unusual. I'm sure you are aware that you can choose to compress the backup (via Options). Doing this saves considerable space, but takes quite a bit longer to perform.

In order to avoid running out of backup space on my removable HDD, I do Retrospect daily-basis Progressive Backups over a 2-week time-frame. I then start another backup set (backing up on a daily-basis for another 2-weeks), etc. Every 3 months, I will recycle the oldest backup set. This works pretty well (but I would like to see your ideas eventually implemented as selectable Preference options)! cool.gif

Yes, I am aware I can compress the backup, or even do the Recycle backup a time or two to clear out the multiple versions. The Backup runs at night, so the time it takes is not a big deal at all.

I'll just make do with that until I see my suggestions implemented....if that ever happens.

Thanks!

-Terran-

Archived