NT4.0 Workstation "can't find" clients

grambo

I've thrown a network analyzer onto my company's backup server to try and figure out what's going on, but my understanding of networks only goes so far...

We were running restrospect 5 for a long time on a win98 machine and backing up to a tape. The aggravation of dealing with switching tapes prompted us to buy a couple of larger hard drives and move the nightly backups to hdd. then we found out about the 2gB limit to fat32 backup volumes, prompting us to throw NT4 back onto one of our computers....

The problem that I've got is that the NT4 computer (service pack 6) seems to have issues with UDP transmissions on the network when it tries to find a computer on the network. The NT4 computer is on the network and runs a local ftp and www server fine. TCP/IP transmissions seem to be fine, but when it tries to find a computer there's a bunch of UDP transmissions that seem to echo back and forther from the NT4 machine and the client that it's trying to find. anybody have any insight into this one?

thanx,

-Jon

Retrospect transfers data via unicast TCP.

Retrospect's name service, used for finding nodes, can use either subnet

broadcast or multicast by transmitting UDP packets on port 497.

If configured for direct IP address (or DNS name) then all network activity

is purely unicast.

Archived