retrospect 4.3c locks up computer when scanning large folders over appleshare

hi, i have a 1.25ghz powermac g4 tower (it came preinstalled with os 10.3 and os 9.2.2) and we run retrospect 4.3c on the os 9.2.2 boot side along with appleshare 6.3. this computer is my main file/backup server.

we used to have this setup on a 400mhz power mac g4 running os 9.2.2 and it was flawless for years, since moving everything over to the new machine retrospect always hard locks the computer when scanning large folders on computers over the network. everything on the os 9 side (extensions, control panels) is identical to how it was configured on the older computer.

for example, my web server is the same 1.25ghz model as the file/backup server and it contains some large folders (websites). when scanning these in retrospect for the backup script it will lock up the file server. i thought this could be something to do with appleshare...but...i have a 250gb storage drive on my file server and when i go to backup some of the folders on it (large folders) retrospect also crashes, this is when its trying to backup files on a local drive.

my destination devices are one DDS4 hp drive and one sony AIT drive, both connected through their own independent scsi pci cards, this is exactly how it was configured/installed on the older 400mhz machine.

can anybody help me? i have retrospect 5.0 for mac os9 but will this resolve my issue? has anybody else BTDT?

i wish os x 10.3 server wasn't so expensive, then i could install retrospect 6.0 and i bet it would all work flawlessly.

thanks in advance,

b

Hi ben23,

did you try to increase the amount of memory for Retrospect? I'm not sure because some time passed since I was using version 4.x, but I think there was a paragraph in Retrospects manual that recommends increasing memory for each X thousands of files to backup.

Archived