Disaster recovery CD

krazykitten99

Dantz Forum

I have a problem using the disaster recovery disk.

I need to install a larger capacity hard drive on my laptop (using Windows XP home edition, Retrospect 6.5 Pro).

I made a disaster recovery CD and a full backup CD of the laptop hard drive, no problems.

I purchased, installed, and formatted a new laptop hard drive on a DESKTOP machine ( I can not afford to be without my laptop for the time it takes to swap the hard drive) I have. Removed the normal hard drive so there is only one drive in the desktop (the new laptop drive). The new laptop hard drive works fine.

The Problem: I start the desktop with the disaster recovery disk. The blue "windows setup screen" appears and the status line at the bottom of the screen

Shows the progress of the file loading progress.

Several files and drivers are loaded THEN the loading stops with the status message "Set up is loading files (ATAPI CD-ROM Interface Card). The loading is hung at this step and the only way to recover is to power down the computer. Tried several times with the same results.

Any suggestions on what to do next to get the disaster recovery to complete?

Thanks, S Baggett

The disaster recovery CD will only work on the unit it was created on, it will never allow you to do what you are trying to do. The hardware and all the associated drivers in the laptop and the desktop are entirely different and that is why you are experiencing the freeze. Just install the new HD into the laptop and run the recovery CD in the laptop and all will be well.

Archived