Retrospect keeps "locating"

I'm running Retrospect Version 4.3C on OS 9.2.2 and am trying to pull files and it keeps "locating" and drive keeps spinning but it never starts to pull. Device it's pulling from is a DLT 80GB tape. I would suspect tape was corrupt, except that it occurs exactly the same on a duplicate tape that backs up the same information on the next day. Can anyone help me?

From what you've described it sounds like your tape drive is having trouble locating the correct spot on your tape. The way this works is that Retrospect tells the tape drive the place on the tape to look, then the drive tries to find that spot. In the rare case that it is not able to find that spot, it either returns an error or (as you've seen) "locates" seemingly forever.

This is usually caused either by trouble with your media, your drive, or some other problem along your Mac's SCSI chain. To troubleshoot, first clean the heads on the drive. If you've never done it before, get a cleaning tape and clean them a few times. Then try again.

If this doesn't help, try isolating the drive on your SCSI chain. Take any other devices off the chain and try the restore with the drive hooked directly to the computer. If this doesn't work, use a different cable to connect the drive. If this doesn't do it, try using a different terminator. Finally, if you're still having problems, take the drive to another Macintosh.

Archived