Samba 3 trouble

dominique

Hi,

I saw quite similiar problems around here, but no solution which works for me. This is what happened:

I used Samba 2.2 for quite a long time now as a fileserver and backed its volumes up with Retrospect 6.5. Now I upgraded to Samba 3.02. Within windows I have no trouble to access my Samba volumes - everything works as before. Within Retrospect I get the error message: "Error getting volume information. Cannot add volume to the database".

So I cannot backup my network drives any longer - but there is no problem to use a network volume as a backup device for a file backup...

Does anyone have an idea? Is there anyone out there using Samba 3 successfully with Retrospect? Can he/she post the working smb.conf file?

Thanks & many greetings

Dominique

Hi again,

now I found a possible solution - but I don't know if it has any drawbacks:

I just set the parameter "protocol = LANMAN2" in the global section of smb.conf. Since then Retrospect can access my volumes again.

Many greetings

Dominique

Hi,

this must look like I love talking to myself ;-)

Now I found some drawbacks: when lanman2 is set the filesize gets limited to 4 GB and filenames are not allowed to contain special chars like certain international characters...

I also realized that Veritas Backup Exec is unable to access the shares, too - so this problem seems not to be specific for Retrospect.

Now I am back at my first post - as I need files larger than 4GB...

Many greetings

Dominique

Archived