Running from Win XP when XP logs out

susan23

Am new to this.

Have Retrospect 6.5 on Win. XP Pro machine to back up files from a network file sharing machine onto the XP's local hard drive.

All works well when logged in to the XP machine. However, when I set Retro. to run at a scheduled time, I get the 1017 error about not having permissions. I think this is occuring because when Retrospect is set to run is at a time when the Win XP has automatically logged out to the Windows login screen and the network hard drive apparantly cannot be accessed by the computer at that point. -Does that sound correct? What is the solution? -Have tried adjusting the Retrospect Launcher login from the XP machine...but have not found a combination that works.

Thanks for any help

Thanks for reply.

Does the suggestion not work if there is no password?

When I try to enter my local user account name, no password (because there is none) and "Logon to" the name of the local machine, Retro. accepts this, but when I close RP and re-open it, I get a message that says it "cannot be started under specified user accout."

Next I try entering the local user, no password and the workgroup name (instead of local machine name), I get a message that says "can't grant necessary user privileges". -To be clear, I am working from: Preferences tab ->Security->Always Run Retrospect as Specified User.

Retro. Launcher is set to Local System.

Problem does not occur if I open Retrospect manually and run an immediate backup with the selected directories on file server machine.

I think I am missing something, but am not sure what.

Thanks

I don't run Windows (anything) without a password so I have no way try your setup. One idea--if you're not willing to set a password for the normal login, create another login account (admin privledges) and set Restospect to use that (userID, password, machine name) for login.

I am new to Retrospect so am not familiar with it's launcher or how it integrates with Windows XP. However, I do know that Windows XP usually will NOT run a scheduled task if the user scheduling the task has a blank password (i.e., no password assigned). For more info, check out the following MS knowledgebase article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311119&Product=winxp

Archived