Files Locked After Restore MacOSX

Hello all,

In our environment, my end users are using Retrospect to restore archived customer files for reprinting, burning to CD, etc. On my old system (Mac OS 9.1/AppleShare IP 6 and Retrospect 4.3) when a restore was done, the folder was unlocked and anyone could access it, which is how we need it to be.

On OS X/Retro5 whenver a job is unarchived, the folder is locked and it is owned by the administrator. This means that no one but me can access it. I then have to go in to the File Sharing in Server Admin and grant permissions so everyone can view it.

I know on the old server there was a place that I could tell it "Folders created are owned by...". In my case, I chose "Everyone". That way anyone could access an unarchived job.

The kicker is I can't remember if that was an AppleshareIP thing or a Retrospect thing and I really need this to work right.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Eric Loewenhagen

Crescent Printing Company

eric@cpcprints.com

I know on the old server there was a place that I could tell it "Folders created are owned by...". In my case, I chose "Everyone". That way anyone could access an unarchived job.

The kicker is I can't remember if that was an AppleshareIP thing or a Retrospect thing and I really need this to work right.

This isn't the old server, this is unix.

And Unix isn't going to give up its security model for anybody, even Retrospect!

According to the docs, Retrospect has two ways of handling permissions during restores:

1- When restoring Files and Folders (the most common way IMHO) permissions of all files are:

rwxr-xr-x owner/group (where owner=the current logged in user and group=admin group).

2- When restoring Entire Disk (bad wording that should instead be "Entire Volume") permissions of restored files are the same as when they were backed up (I don't know what they are if they're old files from pre-OSX backups...).

If your users are sitting down at the OS X server and doing File/Folder restores from Retrospect, the restored files should be accessable from that local machine. But if you want to move them to other OS X machines you're going to have to make some changes to their permissions (I like XRay for doing this).

My first feature request for the _next_ version of Retrospect would be customizable Restore options, where I could configure the permissions of restored files to whatever I want them to be.

Dave

Archived