Backing up Mac and PCs on same network

Hi. My office has about 10 Macs (OS 9.x-X) and 3 PCs (WindowsXP). I'm running Retrospect 5 from one of the Macs to back up selected Volumes on all machines. We use a pretty simple peer-to-peer network. I have no problems with the Macs and no problems with 2 of the PCs.

The third PC is what is causing me to pull my hair out. It seems random as to when I can connect to it. The error I get 99% of the time is "client is reserved". I read in the Dantz knowledge base that restarting both machines will solve the problem, but that only works occasionally. Obviously, I'm trying to figure out how to fix this so things run without my intervention.

I am a Mac user, my knowledge of PCs is a bit limited. I THINK the problem is because this one PC has the McAfee Personal Firewall running and it is interfering with Retropsect when it tries to log on to the machine. I followed some instructions to tell McAfee to allow Retrospect unlimited access but maybe I did that incorrectly. And, maybe that's not the problem.

Anyone who can pass on some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

• 2 weeks later...

If you open the Retrospect Client control panel when the server reports the "Reserved" message what status do you see reported by the Client?

* Are the clients being backed up by another other copies of the Retrospect application?

* Are you experiencing any hangs during backup - particularly in regard to this client machine?

* Check the Operations Log for the last known backup of the client (prior to the Reserved status) to see if the execution completed.

* Try a reinstall of the client (uninstall / reboot / reinstall)

* Update/reinstall the NIC drivers

* Reinstall the TCP/IP protocol

Thank you for responding AmyJ.

When I run the backup manually for this PC, I get one of several errors. "Client is reserved" is the most frequent. Sometimes, I'll get a "Not available on network" message, but restarting both machines seems to fix that.

When I go to the control panel, I see the machine in the list and the status is "responding". When I try to configure the client, it will give me the "client is reserved" message.

To address your bullet points;

* Are the clients being backed up by another other copies of the Retrospect application?

No they are not.

* Are you experiencing any hangs during backup - particularly in regard to this client machine?

Sometimes, the backup script will start running, read and compare the first few files then go into "net retry" and never come out of that mode, or the "client is reserved" error will appear.

* Check the Operations Log for the last known backup of the client (prior to the Reserved status) to see if the execution completed.

There are a few successfull log entries. My problem is that sometimes the backup has worked, most of the time it does not.

* Try a reinstall of the client (uninstall / reboot / reinstall)

Tried this on Friday. Immediately after reinstalling, I went to my retro server and successfully configured the PC. I'm thinking "great, it's up and going" and then I manually started the backup execution and got the "client is reserved" message. Went back to the control panel and couldn't access the machine even though its status was "responding".

* Update/reinstall the NIC drivers

I'm not a PC guy - nor even an IT guy - if we're down to reinstalling PC system sofware, I'll have to bring someone else into the picture.

* Reinstall the TCP/IP protocol

see above

I really can't figure out why I can backup two other PCs with no problems, but can't backup this one. All three machines are virtually identical. In my previous post, I mentioned that one difference was that this PC was running McAfee's Personal Firewall, but I discovered that the subscription had expired so I uninstalled that program so it shouldn't be an issue anymore. And, I checked to make sure that the System's Internet Firewall setting (can't remember the actual name) was turned off, as per a tech note I read on this site.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

You can help rule out a third party conflict by killing all the unecessary startup items and services.

On the client, go to Start > Run and type MSCONFIG <enter>

On the Services tab check the box to "Hide All Microsoft Services" then uncheck any non-Retrospect items.

On the Startup tab click "Disable All"

Apply / Okay / Reboot

See if the client can be accessed properly

Archived