run document error: "backup set FOO is not in the script or the name is ambiguous"

I'm using Retrospect Workgroup 5 for Mac OS X on a 10.2.8 Server.

I created some run documents using a pre-existing, (and usually working) script. The script is set up with 3 destinations. Each destination is a backup set on a different external firewire disk. However, only one of the disks is mounted at a time.

Most of the time, the automatic scheduled execution works, but it sometimes complains that it can't find one of the other backup sets (located on a not-currently-mounted disk).

That's not my question (though I'd like that fixed). To workaround this issue, I tried creating run documents for each of the three destinations. I did this by "Run.. (scriptname)", clicking "Create a run document", and selecting one of the 3 destinations.

However, none of the scripts will run. They all complain that "backup set FOO is not in the script of the name is ambiguous". Why does it do this, and how do I fix it?

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Most of the time, the automatic scheduled execution works, but it sometimes complains that it can't find one of the other backup sets (located on a not-currently-mounted disk).

That's not my question (though I'd like that fixed).

You can actually fix it yourself by going to Configure > Preferences > Unattended and uncheck the option to 'Notify for failures and media" and Configure > Preferences > Quit Action and uncheck the option to "Check validity of next script."

Quote:

To workaround this issue, I tried creating run documents for each of the three destinations. I did this by "Run.. (scriptname)", clicking "Create a run document", and selecting one of the 3 destinations.

However, none of the scripts will run. They all complain that "backup set FOO is not in the script of the name is ambiguous". Why does it do this, and how do I fix it?

Go to Automate > Scripts and check the scripts you are using. This message generally means that the backup set referenced in the original Run Document is no longer listed as a Destination in the script.

Quote:

You can actually fix it yourself by going to Configure > Preferences > Unattended and uncheck the option to 'Notify for failures and media" and Configure > Preferences > Quit Action and uncheck the option to "Check validity of next script."

I'm sorry, I didn't provide enough details there. The backup server attempts to proceed, but it only logs the message that it couldn't find the (unmounted) backup set. It makes no attempt to backup to the other destinations. i.e. nothing gets backed up even though a perfectly good destination is available.

Quote:

Go to Automate > Scripts and check the scripts you are using. This message generally means that the backup set referenced in the original Run Document is no longer listed as a Destination in the script.

The scripts check out fine. This problem occurs even on newly created Run documents. i.e. there is not way the backup set in the Run doc is different than the script.

Archived