SW Compression in 5?

I just started using v. 5 for OS X. I have a APS-branded Travan 8 MB drive with no hardware compression. I have SW compression checked in the script. In 4.3 while backing up, you'd see a percent compression along with Start time and Performance. Don't see it there now. Does it no longer display it while backing up, or is the feature not working for some reason?

I remember older versions had a bug that prevented you from switching on SW compression if you created a script and initially specified hardware compression - only option was to delete and recreate the script. In that case, no display of percent compression displayed and TS confirmed that no SW compression would happen in that case no matter what you set. To be sure something like this wasn't happening again, I created a test script from scratch - still no SW compression. Does anyone else see the current percent compression while backing up?

Thanks,

Russ

Never mind, figured it out. The setting for hardware compression is in the STORAGESET creation, not in the script. Once set, you can't undo it - you must delete it and recreate it with HW compression unchecked. Unfortunately, it's on by default for tape drives and apparently R can't determine whether this feature is present from the device info, so be careful!

What helped was creating a new storageset for my DVD-RAM. It worked. Then I noticed there was no HW compression option for that type media. I wonder why Dantz put the hardware compression choice in one place and the mutually exclusive software compression in another? :)

Sorry but watch those unapplicable, uneditable defaults,

Russ

Archived