Compare Retrospect 6.5 with Windows XP backup

ehanssen

I currently use the Windows XP backup utility. I just downloaded the Retrospect 6.5 professional trial. The windows utility seems to work though I have had some trouble with windows not recognizing inserted tapes. Does anyone have any comments comparing the two programs? I can't seem to find a comparison on the Dantz site.

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27363

TITLE: Why is Retrospect better than the built-in Windows backup utility?

Article ID: 27363

Date Created: 2002-07-18

Date Modified: 2002-08-05

Discussion

Why is Retrospect better than the built-in Windows backup utility?

The Retrospect product line, from Retrospect Professional to Multi Server, was built from the ground up to be fully featured, reliable, and state of the art. In the competitive Windows marketplace, Dantz Development must constantly update the Retrospect line to remain at the forefront of backup for Windows.

Microsoft, on the other hand, includes the Backup utility with its OSes in order to satisfy a basic requirement for backup. They do not constantly update it, except when they update the OS as a whole, or come out with an entirely new OS. The built-in utility is a bare bones backup application that performs the minimum task of copying all files and the system state to other media, in case of disaster.

Retrospect offers many advantages over the built-in backup utility, including:

- Certification with thousands of backup devices. The Dantz web site is constantly updated with information regarding backup devices that have been thoroughly tested and certified for use with Retrospect. See http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=compatibility_list for more information.

- Customized and individually tuned drivers that allow Retrospect to get the best performance out of your backup device.

- Full support for CD/DVD drives.

- Better user interface, including EasyScript, which helps you set up regular rotating backups. Retrospect's clear and logical log, preview window, scripts, and summaries help make setting up and managing your backups simple.

- IncrementalPLUS™ backups: Back up only new or changed files, reducing storage requirements and network traffic. Provides the speed of a normal incremental backup and the easy restore and reliability of a full backup.

- Flawless single-pass restores: Retrospect's Snapshots let you restore your entire computer or individual files and folders, to the way they were at the time of any backup in a single pass, even after multiple incremental backups. You can also restore any version of a file that you have backed up multiple times, quickly and easily.

- Automatic rotating backup sets: Retrospect supports backing up to as many backup sets as you want, with incremental backups to each automatically making each set able to restore your entire system.

- Backup set catalogs, stored on your hard disk, allow you to search and review all backup sets, without having to insert your media, saving time. (Obviously these can be rebuilt from your backup media, if your system goes down.)

- Disaster Recovery: Retrospect can create a customized bootable CD for disaster recovery, containing all that you need to get your system back after a total failure.

- Optional encryption and compression.

- Duplicate function copies from one volume to any other, even performing incremental copies.

- Selectors offer powerful file selection. Desktop, Workgroup, and Server versions offer customizable Selectors, for even greater control.

- Retrospect supports fully automated backups.

- Regular free driver updates, via the Dantz web site.

- Top quality technical support if you ever have a problem. Let's face it, would you rather call Microsoft, which is supporting hundreds of products and platforms, or Dantz, which is focussed on the Retrospect product line?

- Plus, the following features available only in Desktop, Workgroup, and Server backup:

- Security option allows you to prevent unauthorized access to Retrospect itself, further protecting your backups.

- Better tape library support, remembering which tapes are in which loader slots through launches.

- High end tape drive and autoloader/library support: Retrospect supports the latest high end tape drives, as they hit the market.

- Network backup: Retrospect Clients, which allow you to back up Windows and Macintosh computers over the network using TCP/IP. If you need to back up a network, small or large, Retrospect makes the task much easier than the built-in solution, using clumsy Microsoft networking, and managing logins on computers all around your network. Easily manage your entire network backup from a central machine.

- Patented Backup Server technology polls the network and backs up notebook computers when they connect, helping protect your most at-risk assets.

Quote:

BigE said:

I currently use the Windows XP backup utility. I just downloaded the Retrospect 6.5 professional trial. The windows utility seems to work though I have had some trouble with windows not recognizing inserted tapes. Does anyone have any comments comparing the two programs? I can't seem to find a comparison on the Dantz site.

The backup utility in Win 2000 and Win XP is just a watered down version of what was yje Seagate Backup Exec.

It's based on tape techology and is not really a very good backup format.

Archived