Duplicate or Restore not working

I want to copy the entire OSX volume installed on one Mac (source) to another Mac (target). So far everything I've tried hasn't worked. I'm using the latest version of Retrospect for OSX running in OSX 10.1.3 with the latest security update applied. Here is what I've done:

1) On the source Mac logged in as an Admin on boot. Logged in a the same Admin when launching Retrospect. The source Mac has two partitions one partition has MacOS 9.2.2 installed and the other partition is completely empty. On the source Mac I mounted the target Mac using AFP then ran Restore to the empty partition on the target Mac. The restore failed early on with Retrospect reporting "couldn't copy file or folder" errors.

2)Logged in to source Mac as Root and logged into Retrospect with the same Root login. Used Retrospect Duplicate to write the completely empty target Mac partition. After it completed the Retrospect log showed about 1600 errors. But, went to the source Mac and using Startup Disk in OS 9.2.2 it showed the OSX partition as bootable-so I selected it. On reboot I get the smiling MacPlus but the cursor is the colored beach ball that never ends. So it didn't boot.

3)Installed OSX on the empty target partition. Booted into OS 9.2.2 on the target Mac. Did the Duplicate in Retrospect again. Since I'm in the process of doing this as I write this I don't know if this will work or not.

I've searched the Knowledgebase but can't seem to find clear instructions on how to properly duplicate an OSX volume to another volume and preserve all permissions. In my case the source Mac is being replaced by the target Mac and I really need to do a full duplication of the source volume. Anyone have the exact steps needed to accomplish this? If my last test doesn't work I'll need to move to Carbon Copy Cloner and dump Retrospect as a tool that can do this.

Thanks!

1) The source Mac has two partitions one partition has Mac OS 9.2.2 installed and the other partition is completely empty

Are you saying that you have 9.2.2 installed on the same partition as OSX? In other words, confirm that the Source is booted into OS X?

On the source Mac I mounted the target Mac using AFP

How did you mount it? There is information in the ReadMe, as well as in numerous posts on this Forum, about how (and why) Retrospect needs to be configured to communicate with volumes via AFP (Apple File Protocol). It's a root thing.

3 Installed OSX on the empty target partition. Booted into OS 9.2.2 on the target Mac. Did the Duplicate in Retrospect again.

It didn't. You have to be running OSX on the machine that's having the files written to it in order for those files to retain their permissions.

The easiest and most reliable way to communicate between two OS X machines over the network is to use the Retrospect client.

The next most reliable way to communicate between two Macs would be to take the network out of it, and use FireWire Target Disk Mode to mount the volumes from the Destination machine onto the Desktop of the Source machine, and do the Duplicate locally. Just be sure that the Destination volume is not set to Ignore Priveleges.

The most difficult and least reliable way would be to use AFP.

Dave

1) The source Mac has two partitions one partition has Mac OS 9.2.2 installed and the other partition is completely empty

Are you saying that you have 9.2.2 installed on the same partition as OSX? In other words, confirm that the Source is booted into OS X?

No. OS 9.2.2 is only installed on one partition. OSX is not installed on that partition or the other partition. OSX isn't installed on that Mac at all.

3 Installed OSX on the empty target partition. Booted into OS 9.2.2 on the target Mac. Did the Duplicate in Retrospect again.

It didn't. You have to be running OSX on the machine that's having the files written to it in order for those files to retain their permissions.

The easiest and most reliable way to communicate between two OS X machines over the network is to use the Retrospect client.

The next most reliable way to communicate between two Macs would be to take the network out of it, and use FireWire Target Disk Mode to mount the volumes from the Destination machine onto the Desktop of the Source machine, and do the Duplicate locally. Just be sure that the Destination volume is not set to Ignore Priveleges.

After I sent my post I did find the KB article "How do I fully restore my OS computer with Retrospect backups?" So, I'm now in the process of doing the restore to the target volume with both OSX and Retrospect Client installed-which is what the KB article details. I know about the Target Disk Mode, but want to make sure it works over the network because that's how I'll have to use it when Macs are in two different locations.

I'll post my results after the restore is finished.

Thanks!

Archived