OS 8.6 and ASIP 6.3 Clien5t crashes

burdett

I gather from the post I have been reading there is a lot of this going around. I have a few Macs running 8.6 and one 9.04 server running ASIP 6.3 that each time the OS 10.3 retrospect 5.0 server tries to back up the client crashes and the server sits there with a net retry dialog box indefinitely until you cancel the backup job.

I have watched this scenario from both sides, client and server.

The server will contact a client, scan, match sets and then display the file name. Next is a Net retry dialog box, forever. . . and ever . . .

On the client side you can watch the retrospect client disply in use by "" scanning, and then the all of the desktop icons disappear. Usually the mouse moves, but only a hard restart or cutting the power will get these workstations and servers running again.

The only solution I have found is save the outrageous server up grade fees from 4.3 to 5.0 and keep running the 4.3 server.

If you have to backup OS 10 clients by separate workgroup package and a few clients to backup your OS 10 clients.

So far,

I spent $1,000.00 on up grades

Loosed of any kind of tech support

The server runs 50% slower (OS 10)

I can't back up the ASIP servers

OS 8.6 clients crash on backup

Gone are the days of booting from a zip or a CD to restore your drives, you must now install a windows OS, 10 OS, the client software and then restore.

To be fair to Dantz, the slower speed and the having to install the OS before you can restore are more a product of the UNIX kernel in these OS rather then something Dantz has control over but releasing something this dysfunctional, with the removal of free or 90 day tech support, and the outrageous cost increases is inexcusable.

I think it is fare to say after 10 years of recommending Retrospect Back up programs I will pass on this version 5.0 for now.

Archived