E-mail back-up

brooksie

can anyone tell me how I would back-up e-mails? I need to know where the folder is that would hold the relevent e-mails/information that I would need to go to in order the archive them. And also what I look for if/when I need to to restore a certain message for one of the company’s employee’s?

What email program(s) are you using? On what platform(s)? Is email stored per-PC or on a server or both (e.g. SMTP/POP or IMAP to access email)? Every email program stores its files differently, and some can store them in different places depending on how it's set up.

Thanks for the response!

I am using Entourage on MAC OS X. As far as I know we are set-up using a POP server and the e-mails are stored on the individual Macs. This system was set-up before I joined the company, so if the info I give you isn’t the best i apologise!

Brooksie computer.gif

• 4 months later...

Entourage is somewhat tricky. Micro$oft in their eternal lack of wisdom, forces users to put their eggs in one basket by having Entourage store all emails in one large file as a database. I've found that if a user has Entourage open when a backup runs that the main file isn't backed up and errors are reported in the Retrospect log.

The Entourage files you want to get are in:

/Users/<username>/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office X Identities/Main Identity

Substitute <username> with the relevant username found under the Users folder. To successfully back this up the user either has to have Entourage closed, or they must backup the Main Identity folder to another location which is then targeted for backup rather than the original folder. I'm attempting to write an applescript (climbing a learning curve) that a user can execute from an icon to do an rsync backup of the Main Identity folder. I'll post it here when its "done".

Archived