CD autoplay interfering with Retrospect

I have Retro 6.5 on a Windows XP and am attempting regular backups to CD. I have used Retrospect Express for the last 4 years and recently upgraded to 6.5 at the same time I got a new hard drive.

The Dell guy says the CD comes with a standard driver, so apparently that is what is used.

Whenever I put in a CD (blank or data, haven't tried music), I get a message saying Windows can do whatever I want with the CD. No matter how many times I click 'Take No Action" and remember this, it always asks me every time I put in a CD. I have also gone to the Windows settings and clicked "Take No Action" for every possible type of CD.

This message interfered with Retrospect Backup when I was trying to do my regular/occasional backup tonight and I guess ate the last CD of the set, since it asked for a new one, and the other is only half-written.

Any suggestions on how to get this message to stop coming up, other than pulling out the CD writer and stomping on it?

Thanks in advance,

Joan W.

The version of TweakUI that I tried (2.00.1.0) only sends me back to the Windows XP interface for Autoplay. I managed to get "Take No Action" to hold long enough to do the backup, but it immediately went back to "Prompt me each time to take an action" for blank CDs.

I'll see if there is an update or if Microsoft addresses this problem.

Joan W.

I'm using the same version under XP. What happens when you go to TweakUI/My Computer/AutoPlay/Types--can you enable and disable (checkbox) the "Enable Autoplay for CD and DVD drives?" There's also My Computer/AutoPlay/Drives where you can en/dis Autoplay on a per-drive basis. Do both of these take you back to XP interface?

Archived