Another user with Open File Backup option error -1017

csewell

I don't know what I have done to my Windows XP Pro system, but for months Retrospect 6.5 and another backup app that uses the Volume Shadowing service have been running fine. Suddenly one day Retrospect starts producing the "error -1017" when trying to do an open file backup, and my other backup program also produces a "catastrophic error" (very descriptive, huh?) when using the same option. This is obviously not a Retrospect problem, but something is screwed up or misconfigured in the Volume Shadowing service, or maybe the security ACLs on the disk volumes, but if anyone has come across a solution to this, please post it here. I've searched the forum, and there is a lot of misinformation, wild guesses, and red herrings, but no real cause and solution.

Thanks!

Oh yes, I just had a look at the Application log in Event Viewer and found these errors logged every time a snapshot was attempted:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80040154.

BUEXMLC 313

BUEXMLC 308

Have you tried running any disk tools (e.g. Norton, scandisk, etc.) to check out the drive? If you run something like scandisk, I've found it helpful to run on a boot (pre-Windows) and with optional -x parameters (don't recall the letters) that allow it to look for bad sectors and mark them as unavailable (the std. scandisk options don't do this).

Archived