shut down after backup doesn't

wsteele

Using Retrospect on an Appletalk network, mostly iMacs. Most users shut down at the end of the day, leaving the Dantz screen saver bouncing around. Some of these computers will shut down after backup, others won't. Anyone have an idea why?

Yes, the shutdown is checked in script options. The option is to shut down if no backup is due within 12 hours. Incremental backups start at 10 p.m. and are usually done by midnight or so for the whole network, meaning the next scheduled backup would be 22 hours away.

i'm getting the same problem, but most of our clients are running 9.21 or 9.1 -- I'm not sure if any are running 9.22. We haven't updated our 2 servers (9600+G3/300 & 8500+G3/333) -- they're still on 9.1 and I checked - retrospect is version 4.3. We have about 24 clients backing up to one server via 10/100 switch (or egads! airport 2.0), and are using a DLT for our backup media.

I have a similar problem with Retrospect 4.3 on a Titanium G4 running 9.2.2. The system goes to sleep after the backup. As soon as you wake it in the morning, it finishes the shutdown.

I am running the Retro client in Appletalk mode because of some problems with Remote Access starting up at random times, but other than that it is setup like all our other systems that don't have this problem. I'll try switching the client to TCP/IP to see if that helps. If anyone has a solution, please post!

Thanks.

• 6 months later...

Similar problem: Retro 5 running on Mac OS 9 on a G4; network of G3s, G4s and G3 iMacs all running 9.1 or 9.2.2 Clients are all shut down to "Waiting for Retrospect" each night. Preferences set to shut down Retro server and clients after backup. Everybody backs up fine (to Firewire hard drives connected to server), all using TCP/IP.

All the G4s and G3s shut down properly after backup; all the iMacs go to deep sleep, then, when awakened, immediately shut down.

Huh?

Is this a bug in client software or Retrospect, or a mistake on my part?

Would appreciate some help.

Thanks.

Blair

• 1 month later...

I'm getting similar behavior on a new iBook/500/Snow. If I tell it to shut down, then the screensaver kicks in, I can shut the iBook and it will perform the backup across the network just fine. However, in the morning when I check it, it will usually be asleep instead of shut down. Sometimes it will actually shutdown though about 10% of the time. So, when it is sleeping, if I open the iBook up in the morning, it will wake and immediately shut down. I hope there is a solution soon. I'm running the latest version too, but this bug has been around through at least 4 updates.

I'm running Mac OS X.2.2 on the Server machine, and Mac OS 9.2.2 on all the clients, including the iBook.

I'm running Retrospect Workgroup 5.0.238 and Clients 5.0.238.

Anyone have a solution or workaround?

Archived