Is it wrong to backup OS X (10.2.8) volume from OS 9 ?

To backup my OS X volume, I've been booting into OS 9 and running Retrospect (5.0.238) from there.

I assumed that this might avoid problems with OS X file permissions and owners.

Everything seems to work fine, though I have not had to restore any files.

... Now I'm a little nervous, because the Retrospect Help files say that OS X volumes should be backed up while booted into OS X! Is this true, and if so, what is/or isn't happening when I backup from OS 9?

Is it possible to completely backup OS X while booted from it (aren't some system files locked, or protected)?

Quote:

Is it possible to completely backup OS X while booted from it (aren't some system files locked, or protected)?

It is not possible to properly backup OS X while booted in 9. OS 9 cannot see the symbolic links or inode information (among other things) attached to files in the OS X system.

Amy,

If you are booted into OSX and running version 6, are all of the files/applications that run only in OS 9 backed up correctly. I have a dual-boot Mac and work primarily in OS9, though I want to run version 6 from OS X. ALL of my important documents are on the OS 9 side. Are they hidden from version 6 while booted in OS9? Will I be able to do a complete restore of both my OS 9 and OSX stuff?

Quote:

AmyJ said:

Quote:

It is not possible to properly backup OS X while booted in 9. OS 9 cannot see the symbolic links or inode information (among other things) attached to files in the OS X system.

Archived