Do I need to change registry key(s)?

kaikow

The registry has the following key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\...\InstallProperties]

"InstallSource"="D:\\Drives\\Dantz\\Professional 6.5\\Updates\\6.5.336\\retrospect_65\\English\\Installer\\"

Which identifies a non-existant directory that Retrpspect created when I double clicked on the installation .exe for the latest version of Retrospect.

In addition, there a few other registry keys that point to that file/directory.

I had to move those files.

Should I just ignore the registry keys or correct them to point to the new location?

It really makes no sense for Retrospect to have such keys.

I think you'll find all programs installed by Windows Installer include that key. It's used when Installer needs the .MSI file for self-healing, repair, uninstall, or other Installer activity. If the MSI file isn't in its original location, the Installer prompts you for the new location, so there's no need to change it.

HTH

Quote:

JeffV said:

I think you'll find all programs installed by Windows Installer include that key. It's used when Installer needs the .MSI file for self-healing, repair, uninstall, or other Installer activity. If the MSI file isn't in its original location, the Installer prompts you for the new location, so there's no need to change it.

HTH

Yes, but apps should not clutter the registry with keys that point to non-existant directories.

The installer, itself, deletes the directory identified by th key after the installatipon, so the key is pointless.

Retrospect doesn't delete the install folder. Your first post said you did. On my system, the folder is still where the registry value points, with the MSI file inside it.

In corporate systems, software installations are often run from setup files on a remote share. You leave the setup files where they are indefinitely so client computers can use the MSI for self-healing, installing additional features, and so on, without the user having to know where the files are. As a computer consultant, I'm very happy that the installer clutters the registry with this TCO-reducing information, because it makes clients happier with my installations. It also helps to a lesser extent on consumer systems, typically installed from CDs, because if the user was smart enough to insert the CD before the installer needs it, it won't prompt for it.

Regardless, Dantz doesn't have any control over that registry entry, except to the extent that they elected to use the Windows Installer. If it's an issue at all, it's a Microsoft issue, as they designed the installer, and the installer is responsible for the registry entry.

Quote:

JeffV said:

Retrospect doesn't delete the install folder. Your first post said you did. On my system, the folder is still where the registry value points, with the MSI file inside it.

In corporate systems, software installations are often run from setup files on a remote share. You leave the setup files where they are indefinitely so client computers can use the MSI for self-healing, installing additional features, and so on, without the user having to know where the files are. As a computer consultant, I'm very happy that the installer clutters the registry with this TCO-reducing information, because it makes clients happier with my installations. It also helps to a lesser extent on consumer systems, typically installed from CDs, because if the user was smart enough to insert the CD before the installer needs it, it won't prompt for it.

Regardless, Dantz doesn't have any control over that registry entry, except to the extent that they elected to use the Windows Installer. If it's an issue at all, it's a Microsoft issue, as they designed the installer, and the installer is responsible for the registry entry.

I did not delete the directory.

Did not even know about until I saw the registry key.

Archived