Restorable system drive backups?

In the latest MacAddict, there's an item called "Back Everything Up", which contains the following passage, re copying files from the Finder: "..your Mac contains files (such as system files) that you can't read or copy, and if you share your Mac, you can't access other users' files. With the Terminal, you can sidestep both these limitations." Note I'm using Retrospect Backup version 5.0.238, with system 10.2.8.

So here's my question: I want to keep a File Backup Set on an external FireWire drive that will keep a current snapshot of my system drive (and to which I can back up incrementally). I have in fact done so. BUT...

1. Would my File Backup have backed up my system files in a restorable manner?

2. Will I run into troubles with permissions, hidden files, etc.?

3. Would performing a "Duplicate" on the system drive get around these problems if they are problems?

Thanks,

Peter

Quote:

"..your Mac contains files (such as system files) that you can't read or copy, and if you share your Mac, you can't access other users' files. With the Terminal, you can sidestep both these limitations."

Retrospect sidesteps the issues the Finder has accessing system files. Retrospect runs as a root process, which gives it full access to all files on the disk.

I would suggest updating to 5.1 (and getting the free update to 6.0) for best results doing full system backups/duplicates.

Dave

There are multiple ways to to a complete Restore:

- Start with erased drive

- Install OS X and system updates to bring it to the same level as on your Backup

- Install Retrospect

- Get whatever it takes to get access to your Catalog file and your media

- Do a Restore Entire Disk where the Destination is your boot volume

- Restart when complete

- Mount erased drive on your OS X Desktop (second internal drive, external FW drive, etc)

- Do a Restore Entire Disk where the Destination is this empty drive

- Use System Preferences to make this drive the startup disk

- Restart

- Start from the Retrospect Restore CD

Archived