Retrospect Desktop 5.1 on flat-panel iMac--"erased" CD issue gone or not.

Question for users of Retrospect Desktop 5.1 on flat-panel iMac--"erased" CD issue gone or not.

I have a 2002-vintage flat-panel iMac with a Hitachi HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4120B with firmware 2.11

There was an issue where Retrospect Express 5.0 would write CD-Rs on that drive and then claim the CDs were "erased" when I tried to read them again with Retrospect. This problem has been noted by several people. There was some hint that this was due to incomplete support of packet writing by that drive. Indeed, my work-around was to use an external LaCie CD-RW, which worked fine. I was at OS 10.1.5 at the time.

Can anybody tell me if this issue has been fixed in Retrospect Desktop 5.1? I am now at 10.3.2.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I am answering my own question. I was able to do an initial backup and verification entirely usinging my Combo Drive on the flat-panel iMac. Also, I have done two incremental backups without a problem. So either Panther changed the driver for that device or Dantz fixed a bug in RE Desktop, but the bottom line is that it seems to work now.

Archived