Problems Using Restrospect pro 6.5 with HP DVD-writer (200e)

tnw2933

I began using Retrospect 5.0 with an HP DVD-writer (model 200e) more than a year ago with version 5.0. Backups and compares worked perfectly using Windows 2000 Professional. About four months ago I upgraded to Retrospect Profesional 6.5 and I purchased a new computer with Windows XP Pro as the OS. I installed Restrospect 6.5 professional on this system, made sure that I had the latest firmware for the HP 200e DVD-writer and proceeded to use Retrospect 6.5 to backup to both an external firewire HD and to the HP-DVD-writer. Backups and compares to the external Firewire HD work fine. Backups to the HP200e DVD-writer also proceed at a reasonable rate of aobut 150 MB/min. However, when the compare phase of the backup begins, I notice that the performance in terms of Mb/min gradually becomes slower and slower ultimately reaching incredibly slow performance values (e.g. 16 Mb./min). I can hear my HP 200e starting and stopping continuous during the compare phase. In short, with Windows XP Pro and Retrospect 6.5 Pro, my HP 200e DVD-writer has become essentially useless as a means of backing up data since it takes many many hours to complete the compare phase of the backup.

I would appreicate it if anyone can give me a clue as to what to do to solve this problem of slow compare rates using the HP 200e as a backup device with Retrospect 6.5 Pro.

Thank you in advance for responding.

Tom

Quote:

However, when the compare phase of the backup begins, I notice that the performance in terms of Mb/min gradually becomes slower and slower ultimately reaching incredibly slow performance values (e.g. 16 Mb./min). I can hear my HP 200e starting and stopping continuous during the compare phase.

From experience, generally when this happens you'll find device errors in your operations log indicating the drive is having difficulty reading, positioning, etc. Are there any errors in your log? If so, what are they?

Troubleshooting for most common errors can be found in the Knowledgebase:

www.dantz.com/knowledgebase

I presume that instead of errors in the Operation Log you meant errors in the Backup Report. I did find six errors in the Backup Report. All were error -215 (Trouble Accessing Media). I don't know why Retrospect would have trouble accessing this media during compares only because it cetainly has no trouble accessing the media during writes. However, I manually configured my HP200e using the Manual Configurator in Retrospect 6.5. The Manual Configurator reported that the drive has now been successfully configured to use DVD+RW media and it reported successful read and write tests. We shall see if this makes any difference.

Thank you for your response.

Tom

Archived