Xserve Remote Backup

Hi,

I am getting ready to install an Xserve at a colo facility and want to find a solution to backup the Xserve to the QuickSilver in my office. Will I be able to make a backup before I install the Xserve, then make incremental backups remotely via Internet of only "changed" files using Retrospect?

Thanks in advance,

Cory

Quote:

Will I be able to make a backup before I install the Xserve, then make incremental backups remotely via Internet of only "changed" files using Retrospect?

Yes.

You can do an initial backup with Retrospect running on the XServe, then copy the resulting catalog file(s) to your Quicksilver for use in Normal backups after that.

Or, you can install the Retrospect OS X Client in advance and do your first backup(s) over your local LAN before moving the server to its remote home.

OS X Server is pretty temperamental about IP address changes, so I expect that you'll be configuring it in advance to use the addy of the co-lo facility (if you hadn't considered this, please be sure to do some research on Apple's discussion area first).

If you opt for doing the initial backups via the Client it should be pretty easy to isolate the two machines (Quicksilver and XServe) on a single ethernet cable and configure the Quicksilver to use a dummy IP address on the same subnet as the XServe's. Changing addresses on OS X Desktop is a beautiful thing...

Dave

Archived