Retrospect 5.0238 won't launch under 10.2.8, ok under 9.2.2 native

Yes, I tried reinstalling 3 times - twice over top of the existing install and the third time after doing an "uninstall." The installer is from the Dantz distribution CD ROM. Still have the same problem. I did NOT delete my preferences on the uninstall since I didn't want to lose my existing backups that I was able to do under OS 9.

What else might I try?

Thanks for your help.

I don't recognise the problem, so keep your fingers crossed for the answer from someone else.

Something to do to find out more, is to have a look in Console to see if any messages there give some clues. Just launch Console (from /Applications/Utilities/Console), and then launch Retrospect. You will see a message in Console if Retrospect is crashing, but may also see a message from some part of the system or Retrospect itself about other problems.

I tried activating Console and it showed a "crash log" being created after the launch failure. The crash log looks like "...

Date/Time: 2003-12-17 20:33:44 -0800

OS Version: 10.2.8 (Build 6R73)

Host: DCC.local.

Command: AuthenticateUser

PID: 3468

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x2f557385 ..."

Something about trying to authenticate a user??? I don't have a clue what that means.

Quote:

did NOT delete my preferences on the uninstall since I didn't want to lose my existing backups that I was able to do under OS 9.

You should start your troubleshooting with clean preferences. You don't have to delete the preference file, you can simply move the file to the Desktop and try again. Depending on what's on your old Backup Sets, and on how you use the program, there may be no benefit in keeping your old preference file; you can easily add your existing Backup Sets to your new configuration.

The AuthenticateUser process is used to allow Retrospect to run as a root process (in order for it to get access to every file on the drive). It runs as a normal user, then quits after Retrospect is successfully authenticated.

To begin, I'd suggest creating a new user, log in as that user, and try to launch Retrospect.

Let us know what you find.

Dave

I have isolated the problem to a non-Apple utility called "Application Performance Enhancer" which is a framework required to run another utility called "Detour" which reroutes audio outputs. If I disable the Detour selection under APE is the System Preferences then Retrospect starts and runs normally.

So at least I have a workaround until I can figure out if there is a way to configure or fix APE and Detour.

The new user approach probably would have got me to the same conclusion if the non-Apple utilities aren't carried over (I don't know if System Preferences are user specific or common to all users. The title "System" makes them sound universal).

Thanks for everyone's help.

Quote:

I don't know if System Preferences are user specific or common to all users. The title "System" makes them sound universal)

They can be either way depending on where they're installed. If you put them in /Library/PreferencePanes/ they show up for all users, while if you put them in ~/Library/PreferencePanes/ they only show up for that user.

I've heard of people having issues with APE since it first came out. Unsanity is certainly pushing the OS X development environment, but I'm certain that they (and Rogue Amoeba) would be intersting to learn if their software is causing another unix process to crash.

Dave

Archived