Pb error -1407 (unknown)

Hello,

We have Restrospect server 5.0 installed on a Mac Desktop with jaguar.

We do not upgrade this server to panther because there seem to be too many problems with panther.

I have my powerbook laptop upgraded with panther and I installed retrospect client on it.

I've regularly made backups with no problems so far, but today, retrospect refuses to backup

for an unknown reason -1407 (unknown).

The backup server starts, then analyses the files, then tries to reconnect to the client to start the backup

but it fails.

On the client side, retrospect client is eating all the CPU and my mac freezes, I have to reboot it frown.gif

I looked on the web and foud a few posts on the -1407 error but unfortunately

- some are written in Japanese and I can't understand all the messages

- some are in English. They appear on the web search result with AllTheWeb but they have been deleted from the website.

Thanks for your help !

Mathieu

>We have Restrospect server 5.0 installed on a Mac Desktop with jaguar.

-What exact version of Retrospect are you using?

>I have my powerbook laptop upgraded with panther and I installed retrospect client on it.

-What exact version of the Retrospect OS X Client have you installed?

>The backup server starts, then analyses the files, then tries to reconnect

>to the client to start the backup but it fails.

>On the client side, retrospect client is eating all the CPU and my mac freezes, I have to reboot it

-Versions of the client earlier then 5.1 had a bug that sometimes caused it to eat CPU; you might try using the most current version of the client.

Dave

I identified the problem!

I thought you would be interested. so here is the story:

After reading your answer, I installed the client 5.1 and tried to backup,

but I had the same problem. Well, at least, my mac wasn't freezing!

I thought it was a specific file that caused problem, thus I backed up folder by folder

and I finally found the problem:

it is a weird file name that causes the problem.

The original name was in Japanese. The actual name seems to be a wrong conversion of its original

name in Japanese into another encoding format.

The resulting name is: îNâÍèÛ04

It might contain non printable characters.

Mathieu

Interesting.

If certain Japanese file names cause error 1407, it is Dantz people who can fix this problem forever.

I have the same "error 1407" problems with my Macs (iBook 16VRAM Panther, G4 QuickSilver Panther, eMac Jaguar; Retrospect 5.1 Desktop or Client; the most recent System and Retrospect updates).

Retrospect on some Macs sometimes stops with error 1407 and other times finish backups with no problem. Restarting Retrospect, remaking backup files and performing disk repairs may or may not solve the problem.

Another Mac can always backup using Desktop but never with Client.

Point is I use Japanese OS and have a lot of files with Japanese names.

FYI, the discussion on error 1407 written in Japanese you mentioned gave no clue to solve the problem.

Archived