Saving EOM catalog

I usually do full backups during the week and save the last Friday of the month's backup tape. I do recycled backups so every Friday has a new overwritten catalog.

I needed to get a file off of an EOM backup from a couple of months ago and had to recatalog the 60 gig tape. It took about 4-5 hours. Ouch.

My question is, can I take the last catalog file and put them on a CD to store with the tape? I was hoping that I could take the last catalog "Friday.rbc" and burn it to a CD to store with the tape so when I want to restore something I don't have to wait 5 hours for the tape to recatalog.

Also, does the .rbc file have to be any where specific and does it have any other dependency files to go along with it.

Yes, you can save old catalog files on a CD, or you can move the to another location for safekeeping -- such as a network server.

If you are rotating multiple sets of tapes the better solution would be to create a backup set for each set of tapes and add them to your script.

The following tutorial is for a daily rotation - rather then weekly, but it will give you an idea of how this can be set up for multiple sets rotated weekly:

http://www.dantz.com/index.php3?SCREEN=kbase&ACTION=KBASE&id=27816

If you rotate 4 sets of tapes weekly, you will need 4 backup sets in your script with 8 schedules. For example:

Every Monday, starting 12/1/03 Recycle Backup to Backup Set 1 every 4 weeks

Every TWTHF, stating 12/2/03 Normal Backup to Backup Set 1 every 4 weeks

Every Monday, starting 12/8/03 Recycle Backup to Backup Set 2 every 4 weeks

Every TWTHF, stating 12/9/03 Normal Backup to Backup Set 2 every 4 weeks

And so on...

Archived