Upgrade - transferring data.

I have run into something I've never dealt with before in upgrading a Retrospect system. First, I'll give background, then my question.

Old machine: Beige G3 running Workgroup 4.3 and OS 9

New machine: PM G4 running Workgroup 5.1 and OS 10.3

I have never upgraded someone and switched computers at the same time. What is the best way to get the old data onto the new G4 when I install the upgrade? Usually it just finds the old data, but the data isn't on this computer right now. So my first question is:

Is it possible to transfer old catalog, selector, etc. files to the new machine after installation has occurred?

Second question:

What is the best way to do this job?

--Dolf

Quote:

What is the best way to ... transfer old catalog, selector, etc. files to the new machine after installation has occurred?

Your 4.3 preference file can be placed in /Library/Preferences/Retrospect/ before your first launch of 5.1; when you launch the program you'll be given the chance to copy over the new settings.

Catalogs from your old install will probably show up as grey in the new version. You should forget them from the Backup Sets window.

Since catalog files are just files; put them wherever you want on the new machine, then double click on them to bring them intor Retrospect.

You probably should create new catalog files for your backups going forward; Retrospect will copy all files under OS X, even if they were copied before when you were running OS 9.

Dave

Archived