Retrospect never starts

I have not been able to get Retrospect 5 to start on it's own unattended when I'm logged out. I have a Dual 1Ghz with 10.1.3 and the SCSI hard drives. If I move the cursor around & wake the display, & I assume the HD also, then Retrospect starts. I am not running scheduled backups, but rather I am using the Backup server, as most clients are intermittently connected. Any suggestions?

I have not been able to get Retrospect 5 to start on it's own unattended when I'm logged out... If I move the cursor around & wake the display, & I assume the HD also, then Retrospect starts

Niels,

When your Macintosh goes to sleep, Retrospect can no longer launch. No different then it was on OS 9.

Set your Energy Saver preference pane to never sleep, and you should be OK.

Dave

I've had the same experience, running Retro Workgroup 5.0.201 on my 10.1.3 system. As soon as I wake up the screen (and everything else), its starts "unattended". This was NOT the case when I was running the beta, 5.0.153. It worked pretty well, except for having a built in expiry (end of beta) date. I have not changed my system prefs, they still set energy saver times separately and screen, hard drive and machine all have fairly short times on them - but it worked before.

A separate nit: I hate the way Retrospect insists on putting its modal message boxes in front of everything else on the screen (e.g. to say its scanning something), when it is NOT the frontmost application.

End of rant ;-)

I've had the same experience, running Retro Workgroup 5.0.201 on my 10.1.3 system. As soon as I wake up the screen (and everything else), its starts "unattended". This was NOT the case when I was running the beta, 5.0.153. It worked pretty well, except for having a built in expiry (end of beta) date. I have not changed my system prefs, they still set energy saver times separately and screen, hard drive and machine all have fairly short times on them - but it worked before.

The RetroRun process that was included in the Macworld Preview had a bug that prevented Energy Saver induced sleep (they even knew about it at Dantz's show booth; apparently it was discovered the day after 5.0.153 was pressed to CD's). So no matter what your preferences were, your Mac never went to sleep.

The current RetroRun process does not prevent your Mac from sleeping; and as always, a sleeping Mac will not backup.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Austin had a good question. What exactly should we have set in the energy saver and screen saver preferences? Can we have hard disk or display sleep set to turn on at all? Can the screen saver be allowed to turn on?

I had the preferences set to never put the system to sleep, but allowed for display sleep after 30 minutes, the hard disk to never sleep, and the screen saver to start after 10 minutes. But this configuration had the issue of not launching.

Now everything is off, but I am wondering if anything can be left on?

Thanks

Cam

Archived