Can't get a Selector to work

I'm updating a duplicate backup script that I have to run a duplicate of my OS X drive on my PowerBook G3 Firewire. I want to duplicate everything but a folder I have called Archives located at the root level of my HD and my iTunes Music folder located here User>Name>Music>iTunes>iTunes Music. I don't want the contents of any of these folders backed up. I have tried saving highlights and creating a new selector that way. I have also tried path names to the folders and various selector conditions. Nothing works properly. Any help appreciated.

Pismo OS 10.2.8

Retrospect Desktop 5.0.238

TIA

Chris

Selectors are tricky. As a user you need to make sure that the selection criteria itself is correct, and then you need to make sure they've been linked correctly.

Selectors use Boolean logic. A good rule of thumb is to make sure that unrelated criteria are linked by "or." For example, How do you select a folder whose name is "Applications" AND whose name is "System Folder?" It's impossible. The correct way to backup both the "Applications" and the "System Folder" is to select the OR command.

Another good thing to remember is to "check" your Selector. To check the Selector, go to the Selector creation window. On the Windows platform choose the “blue check mark” and then choose a volume for the Selector. On the Macintosh platform, while in the Selector creation Window, choose Selector from the drop-down menu then choose "Check Selector" from the Selector menu. On both platforms you will be prompted to choose a volume and Retrospect will apply your Selector to that volume in real-time. This will save you having to wait until a backup or restore to see if your Selector has been working correctly.

Amy,

Thanks for your reply. My selector did have the 'AND' condition in it. I have changed it to 'OR'. When I checked the selector everything seemed to work properly. I'll run the duplicate tonight and see if it works.

I still can't figure out why the save highlights didn't work. I know I de-selected the folders I didn't want backed up.

thanks,

Chris

Well the backup worked properly with the 'OR' condition. I had been having trouble getting the duplicate to boot and this time it worked perfectly. Thanks again Amy for your help. appl.gif

One other quick question: Since I'm doing a duplicate of my hard drive (except some folders I don't want duplicated due to lack of space) can I just let the script run nightly or do I have to erase the duplicate drive every time before I duplicate? I'm assuming that the duplicate script will just look for changed files and duplicate them each time it runs rather than duplicating all the files and folders each time.

TIA

Chris

Archived