Use IDE HD as removable instead of Tape

I have a WiebeTech DriveDock (which is fantastic), which enables me to connect IDE hard drives to my Macs via Firewire.

So, I can now purchase 80G IDE Hard Drives for about $70. I had been using AIT Tapes (35G) which cost $50 apiece. I would rather use HD. They are actually useful after the fact (Tapes are useless).

Since my Sony AIT Tape drive and Adaptec 29160N SCSI controller are not compatible under OS X (they were under OS 9), I would rather begin using HDs to back up instead of tape.

Now the question. Is it possible somehow, to use HDs as removeable devices like tape? Since they are removeable (Firewire), it is an ideal solution. Much cheaper, and almost as fast (and with FW800, it will be as fast if not faster).

I am using Retrospect 5.0.238 right now, but I haven't been able to figure out a way to use Hard Drives as removeable devices. I don't think Retrospect 5.1 does this either. If it can't be done, I would definitely like to see that capability in Retrospect 6.0 for MacOS X.

Quote:

Is it possible somehow, to use HDs as removeable devices like tape? Since they are removeable (Firewire), it is an ideal solution.

No.

Hard drives are fixed platter media, not removable. That's how the OS sees them, so that's how Retrospect sees them too.

I could take a blow torch to the top of my car, but that wouldn't make it a convertible!

What you're hoping for is the ability for File Backup Types to span multiple volumes. This is present in the Windows version. It's cool.

Dave

Archived