Does "Duplicate" really "Make an identical copy of a desktop disk"?

I'm attempting to do something which it seems to me should be a common practice -- upgrade an internal hard drive for a bigger hard drive.

• Mac G4 Powerbook (Titanium)

30 gig internal drive (IBM/Hitachi Travelstar)

80 gig external firewire drive (IBM/Hitachi Travelstar)

Running OS 9.2.2 (OSX 10.1.2 installed but seldom used)

Retrospect 5.0

1. Began by running TechTool Pro on 30 gig to ensure disk and files were in pristine condition.

2. Ran Disk Warrior on 30 gig to ensure Directory was clean and optimized.

3. Selected "Erase Disk" in finder (selected Mac OS Extended) to erase, format and mount external 80 gig.

4. Ran Retrospect "Duplicate" function, copied 30 gig to 80 gig.

5. Swapped drives, making 80 gig internal.

6. Booted Powerbook (without an external FW drive connected) and selected 80 gig as Startup Disk.

7. Restarted, only to discover that many document icons, and a number of appl icons, had turned "generic."

8. Ran TechTool Pro (3.0.9) and rebuilt the desktop. Restarted.

9. Destop rebuild brought back most icons, but not all. This has resulted in not only the "can't find the application that created this document" finder message, but several applications can't run at all because they can't find associated files (prefs, etc.)

Could it be that Retrospect may not actually be making an exact mirror image of my hard drive? Any suggestions, please?

If this is not the right sort of program to be doing what I'm looking to accomplish, it would be nice to know what would.

The first thing to note is that it is not possible to sucessfully duplication OS X while booted in OS 9. While you noted that you rarely use it, keep in mind that it will no longer be bootable at all with a duplication from OS 9. You should run the duplication from OS X.

That being said, a duplication should work under the circumstances you outlined. Rebuilding the desktop is required after a duplicate (or restore) of an entire boot system.

Regarding desktop aliases, many of the problems with aliases in a restore are a function of the Alias Manager, and not Retrospect. An alias is a marker that tells the OS's Alias Manager where on the disk it can find a particular file. It uses the files original file ID that refers to a specific physical location on the disk; when you reformat your drive and restore data, it isn't necessarily restored to the same physical location on the disk, so the Alias Manager can't always properly resolve the aliases.

Changing the name of the hard drive, reformatting, and changing partition sizes can all affect the Alias Manager.

Retrospect doesn't preserve file IDs for reasons of stability and flexibility. For instance, if you back up and restore an entire drive that has corruption or problems, you will actually have to restore that corruption along with your data. Furthermore, backups that rely on file ID limit the size/format of the drive to which you restore.

If you are experiencing any other difficulties, I would suggest checking the log for errors during the duplicate, trying it again, and running it from OS X.

Thanks Amy for your response.

Quote:

AmyJ said:

The first thing to note is that it is not possible to sucessfully duplication OS X while booted in OS 9. While you noted that you rarely use it, keep in mind that it will no longer be bootable at all with a duplication from OS 9. You should run the duplication from OS X.

That's good to know, and I'm glad you pointed it out since I'm planning on regularly using X here real soon.

Quote:

That being said, a duplication should work under the circumstances you outlined. Rebuilding the desktop is required after a duplicate (or restore) of an entire boot system.

OK, but as I said I've rebuilt the desktop, and even done so from scratch (deleting Desktop DB and DF files). I get most of my icons back but not all. Why would that be?

Quote:

Regarding desktop aliases...

I made no mention of aliases. I already understand why those would have to be manually fixed.

Quote:

Changing the name of the hard drive, reformatting, and changing partition sizes can all affect the Alias Manager.

Could changing the HD name also be a factor with custom icons? Would that mean that I should name my destination drive the exact thing as my source drive? What about Duplicating to a larger HD (is that part of my problem)?

The two biggest headaches I'm having after Duplicate is with Netscape and Suitcase. Netscape brings up the Profile Manager on launch because it can't find my user profile. Then I just have to quit entirely because it won't accept my user profile. Suitcase can't launch my fonts because its database can't seem to reference them on the drive. confused.gif

Archived