checked everything in the KB, still get "the drive can't be used because no drive letter is assigned

I have checked everything the Article titled Retrospect for Windows reports "the drive can't be used because no drive letter is assigned" for a CD-R drive that has an assigned drive letter. Aspi driver was messed up, but i reinstalled it using APIINST.exe and now it checks out ok, i also uninstalled all cd-burning software. The drive is a plextor CD-RW Premium(52x32x52)-with lastest firmware- which came with the trial 6.0 software, i am using the trial 6.5 however. I am using windows XP SP1. Any ideas?

Quote:

Justin said:

I have checked everything the Article titled Retrospect for Windows reports "the drive can't be used because no drive letter is assigned" for a CD-R drive that has an assigned drive letter. Aspi driver was messed up, but i reinstalled it using APIINST.exe and now it checks out ok, i also uninstalled all cd-burning software. The drive is a plextor CD-RW Premium(52x32x52)-with lastest firmware- which came with the trial 6.0 software, i am using the trial 6.5 however. I am using windows XP SP1. Any ideas?

Does My Computer show that the drive is assigned a drive letter?

If not, the the problem does not lie with Retrospect.

In Win 2000, and I believe Win XP, you don't need ASPI installed.

I suggest using ForceASPI at http://radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm to backup, them KILL ASPI, unless you have other devices/apps you know require ASPI.

I have a multiboot Win 2000 system. In one of th esystems, I installed ASPI because a particular software app required ASPI. ASPI os not on the other systems and they al luse the same ATAPI CD-RW drive.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't clear if you're seeing a drive letter from Windows for this drive (regardless of RP or EzCD etc.).

As a test, try putting Retrospect in NT Passthrough to bypass ASPI to see if it will recognize the drive & drive letter. The "secret handshake" is Shift-Ctrl-Alt-pp ==> Execution ==> NT SCSI Passthrough, then quit and restart RP.

Archived