-45 file locked again!

As described below, when attempting to update a recent backup set catalog file, Retrospect desktop 5.1 (latest driver, Mac OS X 10.2.8) logs a "-45 file locked" error after the initial "scanning..." of all quarter-million files and "updating folders" message, after which Retrospect simply ceases and desists backup operation. This has been a recurring problem despite purchasing all updates. In Mac OS, get info/permissions, catalog files are unlocked, and show full r/w privileges for owner (me) and group: admin., and even "others".

Today, while backing upmy desktop Mac to new media with a new catalog file (a lengthy operation), and working on my notebook instead, I plugged in my notebook, briefly browned-out to power to the Desktop Mac and crashed retro on the desktop mac, which means starting all over again. Bear in mind this is a Sunday and my daughter's birthday too. The half-finished catalog file could not be repaired because ALL extant catalog files were greyed out in the menu despite files being unlocked in Mac OS and permissions being read/write.

So I am now rebuilding a third new catalog file from the backup media, late into the night in the hope that Retrospect will not hiccup at any time during writing 40Gbytes of data requiring starting all over again.

The manual and all support info is unhelpful when searched for a "-45", "unlocked" and "access" and recently Dantz firmly declined to provide even the simplest interpretation of this error code without $60 up front which I don't have after spending my money purchasing their latest (5.0 -> 5.1) upgrade.

Crap, isnt it? Can anyone help, please?

Thanks.

Quote:

Can anyone help, please?

I'll try if you'll try...

First, today's are the only posts you've provided to the Forum, unless you've done so with a different login. So it's impossible to get any additional information without your added input.

Helpful information would include:

- Flavor of Macintosh

- Type of Backup Set

- Things you've already tried

Here's a thread on this topic that explains that the -45 error code is generated from Mac OS:

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Macdesktop&Number=20788

Here's a thread that eventually provided some things to try and to report back to the Forum:

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=expressx&Number=23729

And the final search result I found for "file locked" was this thread, where the poster gave conflicting information and never replied to requests to be more specific:

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Desktopworkgrupx&Number=25950

When you write: "The half-finished catalog file could not be repaired because ALL extant catalog files were greyed out in the menu despite files being unlocked in Mac OS and permissions being read/write" what menu are you referring to? Do you mean to describe the Backup Sets window in Configure->Backup Sets?

- Do the catalog items remain grey after restarting the program?

- If you forget the catalog from Configure->Backup Set, what happens when you attempt to add the catalog from Configure->Backup Sets->More->Open?

- If you move the catalog file to another Mac OS X machine running Retrospect, are you able to access it from Configure->Backup Sets?

When you write: "So I am now rebuilding a third new catalog file from the backup media, late into the night in the hope that Retrospect will not hiccup at any time during writing 40Gbytes of data requiring starting all over again" are you seriously implying that a program crashing after power to a desktop computer is "browned out" is the fault of the program? Wouldn't that me more accuretly the fault of the user?

Dave

I'll try if you'll try...

--->Dave, thank-you very much for taking the time to look at this.

First, today's are the only posts you've provided to the Forum, unless you've done so with a different login.

--->I am completely and utterly new to the forum, but I have been using Retrospect for a number of years back at least as far as v4.0. I am not a computer guy or very knowledgable about Retrospect. Each time I see a new version or driver update posted I think "Ah! THIS is the one that'll iron out all those glitches I've been having so I can backup more often without wasting time" (especially if it says "improved compatibility with optical drives" or whatever). So then I fork over the cash. In this sense, I must be the perfect customer smile.gif

So it's impossible to get any additional information without your added input.

Helpful information would include:

- Flavor of Macintosh

---->G4 baige, dual 500 MHz, nearly 2Gbytes of RAM, internal DVD RAM(4.7 Gbyte), external DVD RAM(4.7 GByte) (the external and internal drives appear same hardware, external one is a QueDrive package).

- Type of Backup Set

------>Showing my ignorance..: Regular backup set, everything except cache files.

- Things you've already tried

------>playing with privileges in the finder, moving backup set to different folder, starting over. (Not very adventurous stuff).

Here's a thread on this topic that explains that the -45 error code is generated from Mac OS:

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Macdesktop&Number=20788

Here's a thread that eventually provided some things to try and to report back to the Forum:

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=expressx&Number=23729

And the final search result I found for "file locked" was this thread, where the poster gave conflicting information and never replied to requests to be more specific:

http://forums.dantz.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Desktopworkgrupx&Number=25950

----->Thanks, I previously did one search for "-45" and one for "-45 locked" and found no threads. So that immediately puts you in a different league from me smile.gif There were some useful hints there, but I have not combed through all the info in detail. Thread #23666 is very close indeed to my error. I learned that the error is generated initially by Mac OS which is interesting, because my previous most serious problem with Retrospect was lost icon for DVD RAM disks (I am backing up to DVD RAM): i.e. During backup, put in blank disk, partition it, icon never appears, Retrospect thus refuses to resume, quit retrospect and start over using the catalog thus far. Not happened since recent driver/retro updates. Lately, I have occasional Mac OS error when ejecting disk (various apps): "file in use by another user, cannot eject" then icon disappears, cannot easily get it back. I tentatively blame memory leaks in other apps. overwriting system info in RAM, even though we are in UNIX. Anyway, does it seem possible that this Mac OS error generates a -45 error in Retrospect? I generally run retrospect on a freshly booted machine with nothing else running (so as to make the backup environment more static), but this has not prevented the -45 errors.

When you write: "The half-finished catalog file could not be repaired because ALL extant catalog files were greyed out in the menu despite files being unlocked in Mac OS and permissions being read/write" what menu are you referring to?

----->The window I am referring to is Tools->repair->repair file or backup set. It is still greyed out even after quit and reboot.

Do you mean to describe the Backup Sets window in Configure->Backup Sets?

----->No! These are not greyed out, they are selectable. Interesting...

- Do the catalog items remain grey after restarting the program?

---->The Tools->repair->repair file or backup set remains greyed out after restarting the prog even rebooting Mac.

- If you forget the catalog from Configure->Backup Set, what happens when you attempt to add the catalog from Configure->Backup Sets->More->Open?

---->It reappears, black and selectable.

- If you move the catalog file to another Mac OS X machine running Retrospect, are you able to access it from Configure->Backup Sets?

---->It is a good test, but I don't have another machine, I think there is not a problem selecting the backup set, the problem is as follows:

+ Executing Immediate Backup at 10/26/2003 1:54 PM

Can't add to backup set Backup Set PP1-2: The catalog is locked.

10/26/2003 1:54:30 PM: Execution incomplete.

+ Executing Immediate Backup at 10/26/2003 2:04 PM

Can't add to backup set Backup Set PP1-2: The catalog is locked.

10/26/2003 2:04:45 PM: Execution incomplete.

+ Executing Recatalog at 10/26/2003 2:08 PM

To backup set Backup Set PP1-2…

Can't save catalog, error -45 (file locked).

10/26/2003 2:08:01 PM: Execution incomplete.

Quit at 10/26/2003 2:27 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (<-I wrote this line of text, in Wyne's world lingo it means diddly-dee, diddly-dee, diddly-dee [waving hands]) .......continued:

+ Executing Verify at 10/26/2003 2:32 PM

To backup set Backup Set PP1-2…

Can't save catalog, error -45 (file locked).

10/26/2003 2:32:38 PM: Execution incomplete.

Quit at 10/26/2003 2:32 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ Executing Immediate Backup at 10/26/2003 11:29 PM

Can't add to backup set Backup PP1-2rebuild: The catalog is locked.

10/26/2003 11:29:28 PM: Execution incomplete.

When you write: "So I am now rebuilding a third new catalog file from the backup media, late into the night in the hope that Retrospect will not hiccup at any time during writing 40Gbytes of data requiring starting all over again" are you seriously implying that a program crashing after power to a desktop computer is "browned out" is the fault of the program? Wouldn't that me more accuretly the fault of the user?

---->No, I was being an ass and blaming Retro for my finances, marriage, etc., etc.:) though seriously, I did expect Retro to pick up the half-finished catalog where it had left off at the point of brown out because when I browned it out, it was paused anyway and waiting for a new disk....instead, I saw no option other than to rebuild catalog from backup media this far generated.

Cheers, thanks again.

Paul,

Lots of things to work with now. Let's get started:

G4 baige, dual 500 MHz, nearly 2Gbytes of RAM, internal DVD RAM(4.7 Gbyte), external DVD RAM(4.7 GByte) (the external and internal drives appear same hardware, external one is a QueDrive package).

- You have a dual G4 upgrade in a Beige G3? (???)

- How are the backup devices connected (internal SCSI bus? External SCSI connection?)?

When you create a New Backup Set you select the Backup set type (File, Tape, Cd/DVD/ Removable).

(I am backing up to DVD RAM)

Retrospect uses Removable Backup Sets to deal with DVD-RAM.

- Confirm that your Backup set type is Removable

The window I am referring to is Tools->repair->repair file or backup set

Selecting the "Repair file backup set" radio button at Tools->Repair and then clicking the OK button brings the user to a Mac OS X NavServices dialog box. This is not really a Retrospect window.

- A Removable Backup Set will appear grey in this dialog; Retrospect has asked the system to present a navigation dialog box displaying files that match your earlier selection (in this case File Backup Sets). This is the same as if you were to select "open" from the file menu of Photoshop, and navigated to a folder of .mp3 files; they would be grey.

- Tools->Repair->Rebuild from Removable Media is the radio button you want to select.

My final question for this message:

- What is the path to your Backup set catalog file?

Configure->Backup Sets->select your backup set->Configure->Summary->Catalog line:

Paul,

Lots of things to work with now. Let's get started:

--->thanks!

G4 baige, dual 500 MHz, nearly 2Gbytes of RAM, internal DVD RAM(4.7 Gbyte), external DVD RAM(4.7 GByte) (the external and internal drives appear same hardware, external one is a QueDrive package).

- You have a dual G4 upgrade in a Beige G3? (???)

---->No, I have a Dual 500 MHz PowerPC G4. It is not an upgradeed G3, it is the earlier bona fide G4, I think top of the line or second from top when it was released. I used the word "beige" because I thought the second generation of G4 desktops had a bluer cover. This one, however has blue front, back and top, with baige sides.

- How are the backup devices connected (internal SCSI bus? External SCSI connection?)?

-------->They are both firewire, one is an external device, the other internal.

When you create a New Backup Set you select the Backup set type (File, Tape, Cd/DVD/ Removable).

----->I select "removable Disk", not "CD/DVD". (The latter seems to be for my CD burner which is not correct).

(I am backing up to DVD RAM)

---->Yes.

Retrospect uses Removable Backup Sets to deal with DVD-RAM.

- Confirm that your Backup set type is Removable

--->I hereby confirm in the affirmative that my backup set tyoe is Removable.

The window I am referring to is Tools->repair->repair file or backup set

Selecting the "Repair file backup set" radio button at Tools->Repair and then clicking the OK button brings the user to a Mac OS X NavServices dialog box. This is not really a Retrospect window.

- A Removable Backup Set will appear grey in this dialog; Retrospect has asked the system to present a navigation dialog box displaying files that match your earlier selection (in this case File Backup Sets). This is the same as if you were to select "open" from the file menu of Photoshop, and navigated to a folder of .mp3 files; they would be grey.

- Tools->Repair->Rebuild from Removable Media is the radio button you want to select.

----->Thanks! That is clear now, and it works as you say.

My final question for this message:

- What is the path to your Backup set catalog file?

Configure->Backup Sets->select your backup set->Configure->Summary->Catalog line:

--->OSX:Retrospect 5.1:Backup PP1-2rebuild

In otherwords, it is on a hard drive partition called OSX (my OSX boot disk) in the Retrospect 5.1 folder, and its name is Backup PP1-2rebuild. (My other two partitions are for OS9 and data, and they are both totally unused by me for retrospect 5.1).

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the delay, a ton of pressures suddenly descended upon me.

- How large is the catalog file?

------>The current catalog files are 69.5 Mbyte Backup PP1-2rebuild), 22.1 Mbyte (Backup Set PP1-2). Older backup sets from this year, same computer are 86, 88 and 101 Mbytes.

- Has Retrospect separated the catalog into two files ("Backup PP1-2rebuild" and "Backup PP1-2rebuild.cat")?

------->No, it has not, it has always retained a single file. All filenames are my own. PP stands for "post-partition" (after I re-partitioned my drive for OS X installation). PP1 and PP2 were because I was planning to have two backup sets alternating with each other, for total safety (however, there is always a problem with one or other catalog file, so this idea is scrapped). Then it goes "PP1-2" because I had to rebuild the catalog file, then it goes "rebuild" because I had to rebuild again.

- If you copy the catalog file(s) to one of the OS 9 partitions does it make a difference?

-->I copied to the OS9 partition and renamed to PP1-2rebuildOS9, then went from the "immediate backup" panel to: destination->more (selected the file) then "open" but it did not open a file with the new file name for some reason...it did not add to the selection list and it did not switch to the new filename in the "immediate backup" panel.

Dave

Here's what I'd try:

- Remove your Preferences file from /Library/Preferences/Retrospecct

- Launch Retrospect and enter your serial number

- Double click the copy of the catalog file that you copied over to the OS 9 partition

- Note the behavior

- Attempt a backup to this Backup Set

If this file continues to give a "file locked" error, even with fresh preferences, Dantz might be interested in getting a copy of the file.

Dave

• 3 months later...

Thanks Dave,

Today, after 3 months, I finally trashed that prefs folder, and felt ready to have another round of combat with retrospect.

I also upgraded to 6.0 and driver 5.0 and so far I am getting "-43" errors with my removable DVD-RAM disks (disk locked even though it is not locked, and content unrecognized followed by disk eject).

It takes a long time to re-start because of the time taken to scan, however I am having another go.

Archived